1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good HLA Snowing videos

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by TheRealBuzz, Feb 23, 2011.

1. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

For anyone looking for info about HLA SnowWing.

The HLA website is a bit vague about the control systems. From what I gather they come with a very basic switch setup which can be installed to suit the machine and customers pref. based on what controls the machine may already have. It may be a bit different for other machines and customers may find better ways of doing it but the videos give you the general idea.

If you search you-tube for "J-Rock Inc." he's got a nice series of videos showing SnowWings on a loader and a skidsteer. He shows the controls in each and then some action shots.

I found it answered alot of questions I had about these cool attachments.

Cheers.

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

They have changed them now. For the tractors at least. And not for the better. Maybe Cedar Grounds will put up a picture of the new set up. If you ask him nicely.

3. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

Are you referring to the flip up style box ends or some change in the control system?

Cedar Grounds? .... pretty please?

4. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

how so? i thought there were 2 ways either you have loader controls or its all done by the remotes. do they have another way?

5. Grassman09

They have switched to electric valves on the blade. They only run one or two hydro lines out to the blade and then a 6way round power cord. It's clean and great if you want to take the blade off allot. You have a rocker switch in the cab that you need to switch back and forth for the wings.

Not as simple as pulling the levers and the wings fold open for maximum width. I have not used it but when I looked at the set up, it sure looks slow and a PIA.

6. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

I think in the videos from J-rock they moving quite slow due to the fact he's got the machines at idle while he's filming.

I agree that the control setup could use some refining though. A control box with memory functions would be best. Just hit a button for each use u want.

1. Box
    2. Scoop
    3. Straight
    4. Quick Wing Right
    5. Quick Wing Left
    6. Backdrag Box.

Still if you take the time to setup your switches ergonomically you could do it quickly and easily one handed with a joystick.

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have looked at these and wondered the same thing? Cool blades though, and they appear well built.

8. Grassman09

You can adjust the flow on the blade. The silver lil wheels. Turn those to adjust the flow. Mine will move super fast at idle or full speed. I imagine if it was that easy they would have come out with something already.

9. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

Western has a memory function control on their V blades. It's essentially the same functions. Positional awareness is the biggest problem due to the give in the hydraulics but that is also a problem with the V plows. They get out of sync sometimes and you have to go full V or full scoop to get them back in sync.
    Could easily be adapted to this kind of blade.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Stephan was given false information you can buy the blades setup the old way or any other way you want. I was talking to them today.

11. Grassman09

Thats good news. Don't know why anyone would want that set up. Whats the advantage you know?

12. bubba11

bubba11 Member
    from usa

we just put one on our wheel loader, it only has one aux hydraulic function so the optional solinoid valves were our only option other than adding a 4th and 5th valve (about 5k each) the valves are really easy to wire and plumb and it works good after you get the hang of it. so the advantages are price and simple install

13. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

So tell me Dave... I'm looking at a JD 5525 91hp. I wanna put a HLI on it. I'm looking at the 4200 series 9' for road travel. Sound right?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think the 9ft will be plenty for it.

15. Grassman09

Oh ok. I don't know why they did that to his tractor then.

16. bubba11

bubba11 Member
    from usa

I agree. On a wheel loader I can understand but I don't understand why you would do that on a tractor unless you were running something else off of the hydraulics

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's back to price. Most mid size tractors only come with 2 hydro valves standard so adding a loader valve is close to 2k with labour. Also if you want to run a snowblower or such on the back your into more valves. The Machinability V plow I bought has the same valve as Horst but it comes with a Joystick and you can run it just like your pickup. I think that is a better idea then Horsts.

18. Grassman09

So what moves more snow a Horst or a Machineability V?

19. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

^^^^^bump^^^^^

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I havn't got the 14ft V mounted yet. I'll let you know next year.