1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good deal?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nepmgmt, Sep 26, 2006.

1. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i am looking at a 1997 ford ranger 4x4 possi track ex electric truck with 250,000 miles with recently rebuilt trans and other parts. it comes with a 7.5 foot meyers plow about 2 years old and 15-20 res drives. all for 3500. is this a good deal i know someone will say the accounts arnt guaranteed but i have also gotten 5 more within one week of advertising very little so i will have no trouble getting more if some bail. do i need insurance any help/comment would be greatly appreciated . james
  2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

If you are plowing someone else's property you need insurance. As far as the truck, that is a ton of miles, you need something dependable at 'o dark thirty. I don't know how much snow you get there but 7 1/2 feet of plow is an awful lot of plow for a Ranger!
  3. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

it may be smaller plow not sure. i was quoted 3500 for 6 months of insurance is that alote good deal normal i am also 17 and just starting. anyway to get cheaper?
  4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Shop around a little more for commercial insurance. Go to some other agents. Is that vehicle and commercial coverage? Combining truck/comm. insurance with the same company/agent helps. Upping the deductible helps, if you can cover the deductible. Insurance is just part of overhead. You will be glad you have commercial insurance when you slide into someone else's new vehicle, $3500 is one fender & a door on a newer vehicle. Landscaping and buildings aren't cheap to mangle either! Maybe go to the bank of Mom-n-Dad, it never closes!!!:D
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You need insurance for sure and sorry man, but I would stay far away from that Ranger. Way too many miles a plow that is probably too big which means that it has probably been beat pretty good. JMO.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I don't think you can get commercial insurance at 17. Stay away from any ford that has that many miles. Unless you owned it from new.

Not sure how young guy's get experience these days as most guys I know that hire are timid to hire them but I would try for something like driving someones truck 1st to get your feet wet and until you are 18 or 21 not sure what the laws are for commercial insurance where you live.

You could list it all in your mom's or dad's name and have them listed on the insurance if you are determined to get it yourself but if anything happens where you hurt someone in the truck it could fall back on them depending if you are listing your home address as place of business.

Good luck in starting off just remember the old saying of biting off more then you can chew.
  7. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

ya after crunching the number with the accounts that come with it and me being in school i can only handle that many and each storm i will bring in 550 about before anything. with us only getting 2-5 big storms i will not i will need 6 storms to just cover the insurance of 2000 and the remainder of the truck payments to rents at 1200 i will need to make 3200 so i wont be Abel to make it not possible i cant see how you guys make money with insured like it is. i have so much more respect for you guys now. i may just get a snow blower ato make a coupler bucks
  8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Not good to plow with a ranger? I wouldnt. Insurance is not allowed in Michigan unless you are 18. Commercial, anyways. Check your state laws.
  9. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i dont know what the state law is havent check the insurecn guy said i could so that is what i went with. i am pritty upset about the price was kinda excited about plowing gunna have to wait till next year
  10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

if u want a smaller truck ill sell u my s10 with 93k on it for 4200, no contracts but beats the hell out of 250k....my truck is nice to....

anyway its not a good deal
  11. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

what kind of plow any pics