1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by monteballz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

I found an 05 F-550 with 68000 miles. 6.0 Diesel, 9' Plow, New iroquois dump bed, for $25K. There's a couple things that are making me wonder though. It just had a bunch of new parts installed. Including New turbo, Crank sensor, brakes, rotors, and ball joints. Does the fact that the turbo was replaced raise a red flag? Isnt it pretty low mileage to have that much work done? The dealer told me that the original turbo started making a "light squeeking noise" so they replaced it. He said that the noise was caused by the turbo being rusty from the truck sitting. This will be my first diesel ( if i buy it ). I dont know a ton about them. Just the basics. The carfax comes out clean. No accidents or anything. Any input as to if this is a good deal or a truck I should steer clear of would be great.

2. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

1st thing ya need to do is get the vin and run an oasis report at any ford dealer or some guys on the ford fourms can run it for you. this report will show you the service history from day one of the truck. 2nd the 6.0 diesel has variable vane turbo that opens and closes to make more or less boost depending on driving conditions,a rusty turbo could have been stuck at full boost and may have hurt the headgaskets. 3rd the 6.0 has a bad rep for being money pits. if you read around on the internet you will find a lotta bashing of it, with that said most guys dont goto sites like this to say how great their truck is and thats why there is so many bad posts because most goto the internet to complain or look for help. i had very good luck with my 05 250 diesel lasted me 140,000 before selling to a friend. with that said the 550 behind the motor is a rock and most would agree one of the best work trucks for its size. as for price it goes a lot by where you live so search around. and last if i were you id run the report and also see if you can get any Warranty with the truck, because any newer diesels are very pricey to repair
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Its a Diesel carrying a 9' plow, it'll go through ball joints as any plow truck will. I'd ask or an OASIS report to see if there have been more problems/repairs done. The 6.0 can be a great motor or a horrible motor (especially if not maintained properly).
  4. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

Give me the vin I will run OASIS on it
  5. monteballz

monteballz Member
    from Maine

Sent you the Vin. Thanks!
  6. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

7. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

hey iom worried too with all my diesels what with the goverment coming out and saying that diesel is going to 15% ethenol.. Imagine the additive you will have to add in order to make it last..
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Where did you hear that? I'll dump in 30w motor oil if they do that crap. They need to leave diesels the F alone. They are more efficient without all their tree hugging add on B.S.