1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Buddhaman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 regular cab. It has 125000 miles, Cummins turbo diesel, stick. It was a loggers truck. Sister in laws husband passed away and is selling this. It has a western straight blade with it. It is in decent shape. Definately used. Box is damaged on one side buy I have a flat rack sitting doing nothing right now. Needs tires and a hood. She wants $4500 for it. Seems like a decent deal to me for a diesel. But I am a Ford guy so I know nothing about Dodges except I love the Cummins diesel. Opinions please.

2. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Seems like a tough call. The CTD is legendary...case closed. I'm not familiar with the early generation ones, though.

I'm sure you'll get better info from others. However, sad as it is that you lost a family member, you may be able to get it for even a little less if it's banged up and all.

If the maintenance was done on it regularly and it wasn't totally abused, I'd think it would be a decent catch. The motor would be the least of my worries.

I think the rest of the truck might need some attention. Being a logger's truck, I'm sure it was down some pretty bumpy roads and thru some serious backwoods logging paths.

So, I'd recommend getting it looked at from head to toe by a good mechanic, someone who knows diesels and can diagnose the main components that might go wrong.

Let us know what you decide and maybe post some pics.

Take care

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

heres a couple things to check out
    1. killer dowel pin fix
    2. check turbo impeller for any play
    3. front end play There known to wonder a little bit
    4 see if the brake lines have ever been replaced or are roted out
    5. Look at rear shackles, shakle mounts, cab mounts
    Whats wrong with the hood?
    if its in good mechanical condition i think it would be a good deal. Youll love the cumminsussmileyflag

4. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

My cousin is a mechanic and he did all the regular service on this truck. Any work gets done real cheap or free for me, I plow his lots and work on his lawn. The hood has a large dent from something being dropped on it. Still functional though. Just replace if needed for looks.

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

after seeing thoes come in all the time w/ working for chrysler and owning a ford, that truck isnt bad, there are a couple of issues that i ould have in the future, if the transfer pump would ever good (common on thoes ) then your gonna need and injection pump as well. also when doing that the transfer pump can be relocated to in the tank and solve this issue. other then that injection issue its fine truck. have all the 4wd fluids changed and that will tell you tons about the alxe brg's and how they are holding up also seeing as its a stick you wanna drain and refil the trans fluid just to get some newj uice in there and othe rthen that i think jut a normal mech check by a tech should be it and i think you will have a used truck for a good price with what you COULD spend... that truck is easy 8g's

duffy

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

duff, thats a 12 valve therefor they have a mechanical pump off the engine to pump the fuel to the injector pump. They dont have the electronic pump that fail alot like the 24 valves.:salute:

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

sno, yea your right thats my bad i was thinking 24v's were 97 +

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like an good deal. If worse case you could dump it and break even. Around here i've been looking for a 96-97 for months and have found one in that price range. It sold in a few hours!!

DAFF

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

honestly i would not have even asked the question. I would have already paid the lady and had it parked in my drive way.
    motor will outlast the trucks body.....

10. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I bought it, will post pics soon.

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

smart move. Those trucks are great. Good luck with it