1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Dec 12, 2005.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

1998 Cummins 12 valve, new upper and lower ball joints, new tie rods, new tracking bar, new tires, new front u-joints, auto, 236,000 miles. He has also put a Holset Turbo on it, a magtech transmission oil pan, a pyrometer, transmission temp gauge, a boost gauge, and a number 10 fuel plate. Oh and he has also put marine injectors in it. will all this extra stuff be bad for plowing. He wants $10,000 thanks for all your help

Attached Files:

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

With those miles and the truck being modified I would stay away from it. High miles and stock truck, still maybe a little high. I figure if they beef it up, they usually abuse it too. The tranny would be a question mark for me too if I were looking at it. I have had 3 Cummins with auto trans and 3 problems. My 2000 CTD with 5sp is original clutch at 178k. I think $6-8k would be in the ballpark for that truck. I know lots of guys add this stuff, but I haven't found the need as my quad cab 1 ton 4x4 does everything I ask, and still gets 20mpg on the highway. The extras won't hurt plowing, but aren't needed. Another question, are you sure it is 12v in 1998? I thought they switched to 24v in 97 but I could be wrong on that. Maybe that is when the doors on the ext cabs started to open instead of climbing in thru the front seat.
  3. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

The blue book is still up there around 10K but I wouldn't touch it unless it was 8 or under myself.
  4. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Thanks for the replys. I know the truck and have been around it for the last 3 years and it has been babied the only thing it has ever pulled is the sled at a few truck pulls at our county fair. It is a 12v as it is an early 98 the 24v came in the second half of 98. Keep the feedback coming, I've never owned a diesel and don't know a lot about them. Thanks Kenny
  5. Truck

The price he is asking is a little high for the year and mileage in my area. 236,000 is 29,500 mile a year on average. I drive my truck every day and drive around 20,000 miles a year. The mods he has added would not be an issue for towing or plowing. Does he have gauges installed in the truck?? EGT's, Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauge???

Ask him if the KDP is done?? (Killer Dowl Pin)

The KDP is located inside the gear housing on the front of the engine, and is used to locate the housing to the block. The problem is that over years of use, the KDP can work its way out of its bore, and fall into the timing gears. It will usually get spit out through the side of the gear housing, and in some cases it can even break the camshaft. The gear housing is an expensive part, and the job is very labor-intensive, as the camshaft must be removed. I have done several of these repairs, and it is still at least a fifteen hour job on a 2nd gen truck.

The KDP affects all engines up to 98 model year, when they began phasing in a revised gear housing, but it is reported that some engines after 98 were made with the old housing, and potentially have the problem. I would be suspect of any engine before the common rail injection engines. Any 12 valve engine is definitely a potential problem.

As for the transmission. It would be the weakest link on the truck. But nothing a good rebuild could not take care of....

Good Luck.....
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree that 10k is a little high too...

If it were me, I know you could pick up a truck a little newer and ALOT less miles for $3-4k more.

I hate touching trucks that have been modified too.... although, I suppose that whenever I sell / trade my trucks, that someone's buying a modified truck since all of mine have had plows on.
  7. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Thank You everyone for the replys, I am still undecided about this truck. Since he is a buddy of mine I took it for a 1 hour test drive in town and on the interstate and everything seems to check out good. Thanks again