1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good deal or bad idea

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 90plow, Jul 1, 2012.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I sold my dodge 3500 recently and lm looking to replace it. I found a 98 chevy 2500 5.7 v8 4x4 manual 5 spd. 140,000 miles on it. Comes with a meyer plow and it looks like it has a salter controller in it. Truck looks super clean inside and out owner said the clutch is tight and its in good condition but what else is he going to tell me. My dilema is the mileage. My last truck had 145k on it but it was a cummins being that this is a gas job am I crazy for thinking about buying this. This truck is a plow only truck might get 1k a year on it from me so its not an every day driver. Just looking for opinions.
    thanks
    eric

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

if not a daily driver, then i wouldnt worry bout the miles,,,,issues i would have would be what the underside of the truck looks like??/ i had a 96 and i know that it was starting to go pretty good.
    drive the tk and just check it out yourself. steering, brakes,,clutch etc....if it dont feel right see if he'll fix it for you or money off

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

are you sure you want a manual trany for plowing snow? i know i would not,to hard on the leg and knee|tymusic:drinkup:

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I hear ya on manual tranny but i figure theres less to go wrong and its simpler than automatic for a truck tthat doesnt get much use ive plowed with stick before its not bad. Im going to look at it today ortom well see how it goes.

5. dieselss

Ok,,,on a side bar. I've been plowing in a stick. For the last 6 years,,,love it wont go back to auto at all. But that's me

6. SHAWZER

my plow truck 20 years ago had a manual trany,was real SLOW in reverse, drove me crazy!!! are newer trucks any faster going backwards???:dizzy::drinkup:

7. dieselss

True,,,,but are you only plowing in reverse?

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal, see if you can get it on a lift and take a good look at the underside, If all looks good then I'd go with it.
    I also have a manual in my 89 chev 3/4 ton and think its the way to go.

9. dieselss

Yea. Look at it with your own 2 eyes and go from there. If the guy is nice and willing to deal that's always a good sign

10. SHAWZER

i find automatics faster going forward and backwards,but manual tranys are stronger than most automatics . :drinkup:

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

well i went and looked didnt even take it for a test drive. Guy told me it was clean I would have a hard time telling someone that truck was clean. O well onto the next one.