1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good deal bad plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kwegman003, Oct 28, 2007.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

Well i was talking to a person about a boss V plow he had and he could install for $2000 plus the frame mount onto my 97 f350. It seemed like a good deal but hes said its not a great plow because the springs pull the plow back from the scoop and it feels sloppy when they stretch. It needs an rt3 mount and he guarantees parts for one season with the install. Is he just saying this because he told me $2500 when I went back and he said he would honor $2000 if thats what he told me.

Anybody have a problem with their boss V springs? should I just look for an 8 foot western?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The sloppyness could come from your harness or quadrant. For your springs to pull back the wings while in scoop, the cylinder might need rebuilt but I bet the releif valves are just set too low. How old is the blade, sounds like a good deal to me.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

i can see that if you hit a frozen snow bank, Does it have smartlocks? If not that could make the wings sloppy too. I run smartlocks on my vee and I know a guy that doesn't have them and wishes that he did. It is a really good deal otherwise. That plow alone new installed would run pry 5600 right now, as it is almost time to start plowing.

Ryan

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Smart Locks only help back dragging and yes you need them. One of mine doesn't have them and it plows fine in the scoop.

5. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

what exactly are smartlocks?

would I be better off with a straight blade 8 foot plow If I need something reliable?

I used a straight blade last year and never really had any problems, I just thought I would rather have the V because it may help the resale value in the spring/fall if I decide to upgrade.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The smart locks are nothing more than a regular angle cylinder with an internal locking mechanism that locks the cylinder to prevent the wing from pulling the ram further out than whatever position you have the wings in when back dragging. Boss uses a single acting cylinder on the wings so the wings have the capability to pull the angle cylinder out when a load is placed on the wing (like when back dragging). Without the smart lock cylinders, the wings will be just forward by the load when back dragging.This is the biggest down fall of the Boss V's, you have to purchase the Smart locks as an option at a substantial cost, when they should be standard equipment...(Boss, are you listening :( )?

The Boss V's are every bit as reliable as their straight blades. I've worked on, repaired, modified most of the plow brands out there and IMO the reliability of the Boss's is second to none..whether is a straight or V.
    Agreed. The V's always seem to bring more money and are more desirable to guys than a straight blade so it should help with resell.

7. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

sorry for all the questions....

A guy told me that the V blades suck because they leave a stripe in the middle where the cutting edges meet. I have never heard of this in all my research on the topic. let me know if this is a real issue.

So the general consensus is that the springs which pull the plow back from the scoop position are not really a reason to make the plow crappy? its acceptable?

Thanks Im currently in the market for an rt3 mount for a 1997 f350

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As far as the Boss plows go, the RT1 and 2's did have a gap between the edges that would cause them to leave a snow trail.The RT3's have a "snow catcher" mounted in the center between the edges.It wasn't the best setup either but now Boss has a set of replacement formed cutting edges that do away with the snowcatcher, which wasn't the greatest idea..
    Boss's have been that way from day one and as long as you use the Smartlock if you do a fair amount of back dragging, they work just fine. A single acting cylinder setup is actually simpler anyway

9. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

thank you BandB.

I have located a rt3 frame for my truck for $300 I might make some phone calls tomorrow and try and piece it together.