1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Deal and What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ZR2plower, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I have always been a GM guy but it is time for a change and I have been looking at a 2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab. It has 26k miles and appears to be in near new condition. The dealership is asking $18,500 for it. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles inside. Just good old fashioned handcrank windows. It has the tow package but I am not sure on the plow prep package. How could I tell if it has that? I have a used Boss 8'2" Power V sitting here in the yard waiting to go on it if I get it.

I have 76 residential accounts as well as a fire house, a store, and possibly an elementary school. For the past 5 years I have been doing all those accounts with my Chevy S10 ZR2 but when we get those bigger heavier storms I beat that poor little truck to death. Do you think the newer Dodge will hold up? I have been reading some bad things about the trannies in Dodges but thought I read somewhere that they fixed those problems with the 2002 and newer models.

Thanks, and would appreciate any input you all might have.

Here is a pic of the truck.
    [​IMG]

2. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Go for it, but try and get it for somewhere in the $17's as you can find a loaded one with power options for mid to high 18's (03/04). Dodge's tranny issues were from 94-01(more like 99). All I have to say is I had a 02 1500 w/4.7 V8 that pulled a gooseneck trailer for 92K miles-the only thing drivetrain related was needing a new driveshaft at 90k which was covered by an extended warranty. In my opinion Dodge's new trucks don't have any motor/tranny issues any longer-just minor things like rotor warping (I think they've fixed this as well).

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Like said, try to get the price a little lower. The truck looks to have the hemi? My hemi was pretty powerful. A great choice for plowing. Dodge does seem to have their problems worked out. I love mine.

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

let me say this. I have owned 4 dodge trucks. From 96 to 2001. My 01 Dodge has a good drivetrain. The others did not. The problem with Dodge's Trannies, was the lack of a cooler. They did not run coolers, hence, allowing the fluid to burn up. Now, they run factory coolers, and synthetic trans fluid. It seems to work well as I have had no problems for the last 3 years with mine.

5. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Thanks for the input. It does have a hemi....5.9. Never thought to ask him about gas mileage but I would assume not great! They started with a $24,995 asking price and have been dropping it down because everyone wants the power options. It would be nice but I can live without. There is a spray in bedliner as well. I talked to the previous owner and the truck has never been worked, from the looks of it I believe him. I will stop in this week sometime and see what a $17k offer gets me. If they aren't going to move on my offer I may just go for it at their price as it is in the price range I was looking to spend. I hate truck shopping and would just as soon get it over with.

6. dRam2500CT

dRam2500CT Member
    from USA

FYI, if it's got the Hemi it should have the 5.7 engine.

I own a 2003 reg cab 2500 and it averages about 10mpg (mostly city driving), but i've heard some say they get as much as 15mpg which I can't understand.

7. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Shows how much I know about Dodges! LOL!!!!:D

8. DaySpring Services

I averaged between 12.5 to 13.5mpg with my 04 1500 and 20" wheels. In winter (probably because of using 4x4 more) I got about 10mpg.

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Transmission problems in dodges, only if you over heat them.
    The truck new was 30-32K so it is a fair deal.

Real heavy snows give a beating on any truck.

10. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

All I can say, anything's better than an S-10 Chevy. Looks like a nice truck, I'd talk them down too, they'll either take it or won't. Keep the ball in your court, let them sweat it, not you. Whats the blue book on it ??? Its not worth much more than that anyways.
    Good Luck !!:gunsfiring: Go in shootin'.

11. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Blue book is $21,190.

12. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Offer them $ 17000.00 and tell em thats it. You'd walk away w/ a steal for that I think.
    Especially if the blue book is true & accurate. 17 is only a little from what they are asking anyway. Good Luck, keep us posted. Hope you steal it for that. Happy Plowing...its coming soon. Can't wait. payup

13. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Give em a sob story, tell em you gotta buy a plow (even though you already got a BOSS)
    And that you are gonna have to spend another 5K to get it set up. They'll bite.:drinkup:

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Or they might say "OK, we can help you out with a new plow, too".

15. DaySpring Services

Exactly. I'd tell them how much you want to spend. If they don't want to go that low walk and they'll be calling you in a week. If someone else buys it in that time, well the way I always looked at it, it just wasn't meant to be.

16. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Thanks guys. I will let you know how I make out.

17. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I was at Moosehead Lake the weekend of the fly-in, and I saw a sandy/tan colored Chev S-10 w/ a Fisher plow mount on the front end, was that you?

-Thann

18. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

No, wasn't me. My S-10 is white and I pull my plow frame off for the summer for off-roading purposes. I guess it will be off for good now as I also removed the wiring harness too. Taking her down to do some wheeling and dealing tomorrow. I hate dealing with car dealers!!!

19. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Thanks everybody for all your input! It's official, I am now a Dodge owner! I got actually $1600 knocked off the asking price so I am happy! Man....those Hemis got some get up and go! I like the throaty sound too. Now to find the truck side mount for my Boss plow at a decent price.......

20. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Good Deal

Think you've done good my friend @ $16.9. Enjoy !!! We'll be seeing you more here in the "DODGE" section I'm sure. PLOW ON !!!! (It's no longer FISH ON here) Time to make $$$payup