1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good customer service????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ECS, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ECS

ECS Senior Member

On Sunday, Christmas Eve, 12/24/06, I had a problem. I have an 8.2 BOSS V and while plowing my left return spring broke as I was just finishing up a property. I called my dealer at his house and met him at his shop and picked up a new spring and was on my way after a few minutes of replacing the spring. I paid for the spring, gave him a tip and wished him a Merry Christmas. He smiled and told me to get out and go to work. :)

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That was nice of him. But why didn't you have a spare?:D

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thanks for reminding me:dizzy: I need to pick up a spare spring my self just been to lazy to go and get one:sleeping:

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When I brake something I buy 2payup

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats nice of him, but I would never call any of my dealers at home. Especially on Christmas Eve.

6. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

They must be friends or somthing why else would he have the guys home phone?

7. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I thought plow guys have no friends...............until it snows.......................payup

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sure we do, we all have trucks don't we? Doesn't that automatically make us EVERYONE's best friend? Seems to around here :dizzy:

Can you pick this up for me? Can you bring me a ton of gravel? Can you help my sister move? Can you....?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why is everyone so negative?

How about: Wow, that's great customer service, nice to hear that still happens. You also need to remember that Jackson is a 'small' town, not impersonal like more urban areas.

Great to hear, ECS.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry.... Whatever happened to this being an open forum, where you can give your opinion or make a comment?

11. Michael M

Michael M Member

Michael M

As I business owner, sometimes I do things that I don't personally enjoy doing. Whether its working late hours to get a job done so I have a satified customer or dealing with that typical PITA customer. Customer service is what seperates mediocre companies from outstanding companies. That is also what impacts the referral business that we ALL depend on. A happy customer tells 5 people about your service and an unhappy customer tells 10 people.That's Fact!

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Definately Great customer service! He knows how to treat his customers. Just remember where your loyalty lies.....

This is a supplier/dealer you want to keep around.

13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Ever here of the phone book? You open it up, look up the last name, see the number next to it, dial the number. Simple as that.

This dealer is a small welding shop that sells BOSS plows. His son has a small engine shop in the same location. I bought my eXmark ZTR mower from the son 1 1/2 years ago and my plow from the father just over 2 years ago. I give them both a lot of work just doing the maintenance on both the plow and the mower including oil changes, grease, filters, sharpening blades, you name it. When I have broken down with my mower, he was there within an hour to fix it for me. When I needed a place to store my plow for the summer, they were there for me and let me keep it there and the price for this was $0.00. Both the welding/plow shop and the small engine shop are in a small building tucked away in an alley, roughly 2500 sq ft of space. Both the mower and the plow were paid in cash to them.

As Mark said, this is a small and very personable town. It is a town where the people will go out of their way to help others. It is a town that believes in customer service and helping others.

I will give you an example of how the people in this town react to someone in need. When some one's house catches on fire, the money jars go on the counter of nearly every store in town to help them out, they will be housed, clothed fed and money for them to and the family to carry on. When a father was working doing some odd jobs to take his kids to Disney World and nicked himself with a razor while caulking a bathtub, didn't even bleed, got the flesh eating staff infection, the people in this little town came up with the money to pay for his medical bills and sent the entire family to Disney.

Yes it is and yes I do.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thanks for that reminder ECS, I picked up a spare spring today.;)

You would never get our local Boss dealer to open on X-Mass Eve, let alone after hours.

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

You never know what you are going to need until it breaks. Been plowing out here for 8 years and never had a spring break. Just one of those things, and I am grateful that my guy was there for me. If he was not at home, I would have called his son and he also would have been there for me to take care of me.

Believe me when I tell you this. If you were to walk into this place you would look around and think, WTF? Then the owner would greet you with "WTF do you want?" You tell him your situation and he says "tough chit, that your problem not mine" You leave something there to be fixed and a week later you call up and ask when it will be done and his reply is, "it will be done when I get it done" Ask him how much it will cost and his reply is, "It will cost as much as it costs, now leave me alone"

But once you get to know this character, and dish it right back at him, he is good people as I have noted in my original CS from him.

16. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I can tell you right now I would be out of luck if I were in that situation.......but I guess we would have to have some snow for that to happen.......

Happy New Year....

D

17. Mstrfxit12

Mstrfxit12 Junior Member

I know I'm just a newbe here but to offer an opinion. This is why the "internet" isn't always the right answer. Yes in all probablility you will pay a bit more buying from a local shop but thats usually not their fault they simply just don't have the buying power. But the internet and large chain type places just can't or don't offer the service you can get from the guy down the street. I always try to buy local first unless the pricing is just so different it wouldn't be responsible to go local. Chris

18. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Hi guys. I'm brand New to the forum, but in the snow business for 27 years. I'm well equipped, but service is always crucial.
    Here in Toronto, if there is a snowfall, all the plow dealers/repair depots are open 24 hours. At the first hint of ice or snow, they all open, regardless of the day. My dealer treats me very well, and gives me fair prices. The local Western dealer even has "loaner" lows: if they can't fix you within 3 hours they'll hook up another blade so you can get back to work!
    Of course that's IF there is a snow fall. We are sitting here with FOUR brand new plows and a brand new Air flow tailgate salter that haven't even been started yet!
    Steve

P.S. Happy New Year everyone. My wife and I decided to have a quiet evening at home and watch Dick clark on the tube while my 3 kids are out partying!

19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I could have bought the same plow in Idaho Falls and save about 2 grand. It would have been a 2 hr drive to get there, have it installed and then 2 hrs back in good weather. It is well worth it to me to buy an item like this at a greater cost for the service and the fact that I am helping a small business in our lil town and community.

Stone, that is pretty nice of the shops to open up like that during a storm. That is something you don't here of very often.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Amen. I will almost (not always) buy local and I am more than willing to pay a little extra if I know there will be service if I need it.

Funny how a lot of people will piss and moan about lowballers, but when they need something, price is the first thing that comes to their minds when purchasing an item.

Epic, nothing happened to it, but if someone doesn't have anything worthwhile to add and is just saying something to be heard, then take a look at what happened to LLM.