1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good contract pricing for 50x16ft drives?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Wondering how to price contracts for my current LC customers or possibly new customers. I know how much I want to make an hour, but it's no telling how many good snows we'll have here in Indianapolis. I'm thinking most of my customers driveways are approximately 50-60ft long and 2 car wide. On a 4-6 inch snow that isn't too hard I think I could blow and or shuvel it in about 10-20minutes on avg. I'm figuring about 8 snows over 4 inches as this will be my trigger. Anything under 4 inches should be driveable right?
    Anyway I was thinking about a price of $150-200 for the season for each customer. Is this too high or too low for this market and for that size driveway?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What about four 3" snowfalls without intervening melting? Have you ever tried shovrling snow that's been driven on over snow that's been driven on etc? Then having a foot of "undriven on" snow on the sides and between tracks. You might want to rethink your stategy.

Pricing is up to you.

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Yeah, I've had to shuvel through some really tough stuff where it took twice as long as other "fluffier" accumulations. But my avg was usually withint the 10-20m range. 30 minutes max; now this is for a 50x2 car wide approx though.

What u say rethink my strategy what do u suggest? I just want to keep things as simple as possible with the contract yet also don't want to under/overcharge.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're going to do driveways of any size and don't want to buy a truck, get a snowblower. It'll pay for itself in the long run. Also, don't let snow build up. Have a clause for accumulating snowfalls.

5. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

How do I not let them build up, by putting salt down before it gets to a certain point? Isn't this going to make me have to do a lot more trips? Please explain

6. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

as far as pricing goes...they are already your lawncare customers?.you already know what they pay for LC, maybe you can use that as a guide as to what they can afford for plowing...just my .02$

7. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Yeah, I KNOW that, but don't want to OVER charge just cause I think they may pay it. Especially if it's extreme. What if I say $250 for the season and most other more established places only charge $150? Just want to play it fair here. Now if the avg out here for that size IS $250, I would have no trouble quoting that. I don't mind too much as long as I'm within say 25% of the going rate here, wether I charge a bit less or a bit more.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Best thing in my mind for you to do is charge by the event. That way they know how much each time and you do too.

9. drumbo

drumbo Member

Why can't anyone spell "shovel"?