1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good choice?

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by BostonRamGuy, Oct 26, 2008.

1. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4, want a small cheap plow for the driveway and maybe the grandmothers. Do yall think this plow would work for me? Seems to be fine for what I need it for.
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What plow?
  3. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Sorry I thought I posted under the SnowSport section. I'm looking at the Snowsport.
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

how much cheaper is it than just getting a light duty fisher? Just curious as to the price differences. Maybe you could get something nicer for not much more $$

i imagine that plow would work fine for what you are saying you want it for. MAKE SURE ITS 7.5 FT WIDE.
  5. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

The full size Snowsport will handle light storms fine.

You have limited ability to pile snow up, so make sure you have plenty of space to push into and/or have a game plan to have it cleared out by bucket if we get alot of snow.

Would you be installing a receiver hitch on the front or using the rear hitch?
    Personally, I can't imagine trying to plow with it in reverse.

I use mine on the loader of a tractor, so I have alot of up/down control.

I'm still using the original- one piece- so I can't comment on how the new 2 piece performs, although I did buy one to have ready.
  6. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

Hello.The plow your talking about will work.Just understand it has its limits.The guys are right about the stacking issues and it does take a differant aproach to use but once ya catch on its fun to use.What i really like is that there are no mods to the truck needed(other than the front mounted receiver that I WOULD suggest) it is so much easyer to see what your doing.Other than that just pin,drop it down ,and go.Tidy to store in the summer too.Randy
  7. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

You may want to consider upgradng to a SuperPlow? Hydraulics easy to use and can be used on multiple vehicles.
    See the videos www.superplow.com
  8. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

Wow, that's pretty shabby...
    come into the SnowSport forum to pawn your own brand.
    Don't you have your own forum?
    Very poor form.

The Snow Sport HD will work wonders.
    Check out the video at their website and I'm sure you'll be impressed.
  9. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

If you don't need DP, and aren't looking to do commercial work, it should do ok for you. This is my first year with one, and it's done great for me so far. don't expect to cut through a thick coat of ice on top of the snow, but for pushing snow, it's done good so far. The first snow storm, (light snow), I was able to get a pretty good pile going, as the blade slides up the frame as you push into the pile. There is a dealer in Norton that I got mine from, good price, good person to deal with. PM me if you want the name.
  10. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

I've posted many times about the SnowSport HD I run....It is a dependable piece of equipment for the cost.

11. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

It has been said before but one of the best things about the snowsport is that is simple in design and light weight.I got stuck one day in a storm,not bad ,but enough I needed to do some shoveling.I removed the blade and the frame so they would'nt be in the way while getting unstuck.If this had been a heavyer plow that could'nt be lifted out of the way it would added to the trouble of getting out.You don't buy a plow with the idea of getting stuck,but sh!t happen and in this case being able to remove it by hand was a great advantage to me getting out on my own.