1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good bye 7.3 PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sos, Jul 11, 2003.

1. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

I was hoping to get a 7.3PSD in a couple years and found out today when I was at the dealership that they are not going to be making them much longer:realmad: In fact this will be the last year they are putting them in trucks and then next year will be the last for the vans.
    Hopefully by the time my 03' with a 5.4L is paid for I'l be able to sell it and get a 6.0L as long as the bugs are all worked out of them by then. I have just hit my first oil change at a whopping 2,850 miles and my only complaint is lack of power when pulling a trailer. Time to look into some aftermarket goodies.:D anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Open up the intake a little by putting on a cold air kit. You can put on a cat-back exhaust such as Flowmaster or Borla. You can put in a high performance chip that will help out too. My friend used to have a 2000 Ford SVT Lightning which is a 5.4L also, but supercharged. He did all kinds of things to his, all the stuff I named and thensome. There is alot of aftermarket stuff available for these engines, I think because of the Lightning. Chips help alot, but if you install one, rumor has it that you can kiss your factory warranty goodbye. :eek: By the way, good idea on waiting for them to iron out all the bugs with the 6.0 diesel motor. Mike
  3. Funkster

Funkster Junior Member
    from Indiana

I use to have a '99 F-250 LD. It was basically a heavy half ton, but it had the same powertrain your superduty has. One thing that I did to help on power was to put an open element air filter on it. I made mine. I'm not sure how your air intake pipe is routed, but mine came out of the throttle body and curved right to the driver side(as your standing in front of the truck). I took the stock replacement cone K&N air filter and used it. I took off the outer shield of the filter housing that went into the fender. I then cut me out a ring out of a black bucket and used it as a shim over the filter so when I clamped it down, the filter was held into place. This mod gave me alil more power, BUT I also gained about 1.5 mpg.

Another big help I did was run dual exhaust. When I went to the exhaust shop, they told me I was lucky because they could run true duals on this, but on a V10, they could only run a Y-pipe. That was also a big help on power.

As for the chip, there are a couple of things you should know. Some dealerships frown upon aftermarket add- ons to the engine. And they might void your warranty. I never had that problem around here. Also, when you run a chip on a gas engine, it is recommended to run higher octane fuel to help the engine from pinging and causing detonation. So in reguards, you will gain some power but it will cost you. The Superchip I used was like 24hp and 46lbs of torque.

In my honest opinion, I would do the air filter and dual exhaust and then see what you get. I also would consider a shift kit too. Then if that isn't enough, you could do the chip, OR spend the big bucks and go with a supercharger. Hope this helps.

4. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

The supercharger would be great if I could afford it but I will start with the air filter and a new 75mm throttle body. Thought about trying the Tornado, anyone tried this yet? Dual exhaust would be nice but with the E-Check here I would have to have dual catalitic converters so I'll have to run a aftermarket single exhaust when I do change it. Banks makes a kit for the 5.4L that inludes Banks Ram-Air intake with Ballistic filter housing, lifetime filter and service kit; Stainless, heat-shielded TorqueTube exhaust manifolds; Stainless, low-restriction Dynaflow muffler with heat shield; Stainless, 3.5" constant-diameter Monster tailpipe; Polished-stainless tailpipe tip. They also have the trans command automatic-transmission-management computer. I'll have to give them a call to see the price and start saving my pennies:) Donations always welcome!!!:D :drinkup:
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have had the Tornado on 2 different trucks,99' Chevy 5.7 and a 98' 5.7 both automatic with absolutly no increase in mileage,as for power i can't be sure if it might have shown up on a dyno but it was nothing you could feel by the seat of your pants.
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I never used one, but I dont believe in those things. Just another thing to waste money on. Mike
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the Tornado's,or similar devices we have installed reduce bottom end power,for a small,if any top end increase.Not worth it in my opinion.