1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Buy???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by TheLawnShark, Aug 22, 2006.

1. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark Junior Member
    from PA

I can get a 89 Dodge Snow Commander with Meyer 7.5 or 8' (can't remember)plow for 1000. New fuel lines, trans line, tires good cond, no rust, 108k miles, cap, no A/C and light bar.KBB.com list it for 2200 in fair condition.
    Are there anythings I should watch out for? It is coming from a person I know who got it cheap from a guy he use to work with.

RODHALL Senior Member

that price is in the ball park for a plow truck from what I have seen latly

Make sure the CAD (central axle disconnect) works on the front axle. Look for rust under cab, in bed sides lower front fenders. 89 still the is a 727 automatic so with any issues it is not rebuild nightmare. it should be a roller motor with swirl port heads. Rear end pinion slop (it if is half ton Chy 9 ¼)

Prices of fixes that I mention above
    CAD rebuild is $100 parts only (includes new joint and seal for that side)
    727 rebuild $550
    pinion fix is $89 Parts only

RODHALL Senior Member

Oh make sure the wiring is not all hacked, with factory plow trucks of that age the wiring for the plow was included in the main harness, witch also runs the fuel injection. If you would ever need to find a wiring harness an 88 and 89 are the same and it has to be from a snow commander. The normal trucks don’t have plugs and wires for the plow.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

there good if your just gonna plow and run them do to work and basic up keep