1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jdgreen454, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

Found a 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab shortbox with a Hemi for $8500.00. It has 160,000 miles on it. I test drove it and looked it all over and it drives and rides nice, underneath is very clean, doesn't leak a drop of anything, and the body is in pretty good shape, a few dings but nothing serious. The actual asking price is $9990.00 but they said they could come down to $8500.00. I was thinking on trying for $8000.00. Is there any known problems with the Hemi or trans? What do you guys think good buy or not?
  2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Good buy, paid $9500 for my 03 (same truck) last year but it only has 110K on it and was a Florida truck. Check out the front end. Trannys are stout as long as they have the routine maintenance done. See if you can find any maintenance records with that many miles. Personally, I changed ALL fluids and gave it a tuneup when I bought mine. Make sure the heater works well, had issues with some cores and the doors for the HVAC controls.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to be a fair deal, depending on what the previous owner did with it. Look at the drivers seat for wear and the keys. This will tell you how much city driving the truck did.
  4. jdgreen454

jdgreen454 Junior Member

The drivers seat has 2 decent size holes in it. The dealer said they were replacing the seat pad. They told me the previous owner pulled a 5th wheel to Florida every year with it. Just wish I knew for sure it was properly cared for.
  5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I too had a 03 ram that had issues with the HVAC controls specially a door flap that controlled the air flow from Floor to the face vents or defrosters. That repair can be costly and time consumming. Now as far as the Hemi I would make sure you have lots of Coin for Gas it was not nice at the gas pumps