1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good atv for plowing walks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by natureboy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

Thinking of looking for an atv that I can use to plow long walkways. Any suggestions as to particular makes and models that work well?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

A Polaris 500 is the best all around ATV IMO. I would think wo would only need one swipe with a 60" Moose blade.
  3. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

best atv is a can-am

best atv ever is a can am outlander with visco loc 4 wheel drive any size will work i have a 330 and it will plow as much snow that a atv plow will push and more... no chains best 4 wheel drive ive ever seen never get stuck and plenty of power and there super fun in the summer lol :D my 2 cents
    p.s. i have ridden the plolaris not quite as good as can am they are the best

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

doesnt matter which brand. 4wd and buy the largest you can afford. i use a yamaha 350
    and it does struggle with heavy snow.
  5. jryden145

jryden145 Member

You def. need to go with a polaris atv for that, not only because I sell them but also they are automatic and have alow range that is perfect for plowing. How ever for the record they do not float with plows on them so if you are going to plow on the lake be ware.

6. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

I have been wanting to use an atv plow setup for a long time. it seems practical and fun. I have researched it alot and i have been told it has to be a 350 and up, and must be 4x4. as for the plow check this site out http://www.blackline.us/index.htm. if your going to do this setup, that is the plow to get.

Good luck
  7. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an 04' Polaris 700 with a 4' blade that has plowed and spread calcium for three years. I like the weight of the 700, though if I did it again I would get the EFI. The carbureted 700 is cold blooded. I like the 4' blade for sidewalks because it gets in between parking meters and trees/newspaper boxes/fire hydrants more easily than a larger blade. I also like the Polaris because the shift from Low to Reverse is a straight throw front to back on the shifter. You may tend to go from low to reverse quite a bit and many ATV's have a reverse that's over and down or over and up.

Another thought, a small tractor with a snow blower or blade will have a similar production rate and they're no fun to play on in the summer, but you may be able to multi-task the equipment with mowing or....
  8. 972500

972500 Junior Member

my grandpa bought a Pan Am Outlander 800EFI last year and talked to dealer into including a plow with it. the deepest teh snow ever got around here was about 6 inchs but it was heavy wet stuff, perfect for snowballs. and it pushed every bit of it no problem. he bought another one wiht a plow and a spreader because this winter its gonna be the neighborhood that gets the treatment wiht me and a buddy. and at $15 per push and another 10 if they want itsalted they will both be paid off before seasons end hopfully if we get any deacent about of snow. he also bought a trailer and all the lawn attachments to go along wiht them so we could use them in the summer for yard work let alone takin them out and playin wiht them
  9. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

ya its can am not pan am

the names can am, not pan am. but they are the best atv's around nothing even compares to them i own 1 and have driven others, trust me... there is no 4 wheel drive system around that is true 4wheel drive and will not get stuck and they have all different sizes so you can get what u need... there is also a tread option which is pretty pricey but it turns your wheels into 4 (like tank treads)tracks which would be amazing in snow here is a link to the tracks check them out http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Apache.Track/
  10. mmarrie231@adel

mmarrie231@adel Junior Member
    from 21784

A little help please.
    What is an "can am" atv?
    Who makes it?
  11. 972500

972500 Junior Member

yea sorry about that i really aint that stupid but i was trying to make out a shoping list while typing that, i said to the person writing the list " o yea i used the last of the PAM today" so i must have gotten off track there. but yea tis CAN AM and they are themselves i do belive. i dont think they are owned by anyone or own anyone. go to the website and check them out
  12. bterry

bterry Senior Member

1. It is an All Terrain Vehicle.
    2. Can-Am.

Couldn't resist.
  13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Can Am formerly known as and part of Bombardier recreational products.
  14. bihnsmoked

bihnsmoked Junior Member

can am is made by BRP go to this webise to find out all i need to know http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/ they make ski doo and sea doo products as well and other things u will love it
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  15. jbone

jbone Senior Member

ive used many atv's and prefer the Kawasaki Brute Force 750. It has a good 4wd system and great power. as well as an adjustable lock-up front diff. but like stated above brand doesnt matter 4wd and what you can afford, as well it should have some good weight behind it.
  16. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Kawasaki...The best ATV's out there hands down IMO! I have a 2006 Kawasaki 360 Prairie 4x4 ATV with 54" Cycle Country plow and 2500LB Warn Winch, and I absolutely LOVE it! I can plow 9+" of heavy, wet snow with no trouble at all! I plowed through the "Blizzard of '06 in NJ, with no trouble at all! I'd highly recommend Kawasaki ATV's and Cycle Country plows!!!...really hard workers, and a blast to use!!!:redbounce wesport :waving: