1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good article on big local outfit here.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Nov 12, 2009.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

nice piece. Just be careful when he goes from management labor company to national provider of snow management systems in a transparent competive green environment. Does anybody know the carbon footprint of a snow melter?

3. nh785

nh785 Member

huge footprint and its bs that they catch contaminants. no way do they seperate all the chem

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

fireball are you trying to start something with someone:rolleyes:

seriously, I'm a green focused kind of guy, comes with my upbringing, but I see things as give and take, shades of grey.... what does the carbon footprint of a snow melter have to do with anything? So all the dumps hauling snow don't create a bigger footprint?

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the crap in the snow pile will be there whether its melted or left to sit, so whats the argument?

6. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Huh I live right next to Plymouth and I've never seen or heard of these guys.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Not that big, Mark. I actually tried to pin it on Silentroo, as he mentioned having two melters... denied it also.

Greenery... As they stated, they only have 19 full-timers. I see a truck or two occassionally on the roads, but when you have 600 subs you can fly under the radar. If you are bidding bigger stuff you should have heard of them by now.

9. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Ya i've never seen there trucks and no i'm not competing with the bigger stuff right now T.H. associations, residentials and small lots are my thing. BUT I will be competing with them in the years to come. Oh and I hope that is a little bit of sarcasm with the 600 subs that would be unreal. but I guess I do see a ton of trucks with mounts and no name on the side driving around so it could be possible.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

If you read the full article they say 19 full-timers and 600 peak season employees.

11. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

I love this reply to the article, 100 sq. ft in less then an hour, boy are they quick.......

12. nh785

nh785 Member

the differance of were the snow melts does matter. turf,ditches, even pavement filters water as the snow melts.With a melter they just dump it all down the drain.think of whats in that snow: tranny fluid oil, antifreeze, rubber, asphalt dust on and on and on. had an epa study on a prop I was gonna buy and because they found a handfull of aluminum shaving they had to excavate 300 yds of soil and do chemical analasys of the soil. big gov't is only growing it isn't going away I see the epa cracking down on these in the future. they used to just dump snow off the bridges over the river too.no way they allow that anymore.

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

TCOS has risen out of nothing, it's almost spooky how fast they got so big... I talked to them 2 years ago when I needed work for the bobcat which was going to be sitting all winter. They wanted 4 mil in GL and 1 mil workers comp and 1 mil auto liability. A little overkill. But they said they sub mainly to large excavating companies and such that have many pieces of large equipment sitting idle all winter. Seemed like nice guys, but the insurance requirements seemed a little excessive for a simple skid loader or truck plow. Like others have said, I don't stumble across them often and don't really consider them to be a competitor because their target customer is much different than mine. We service 1-5 acre residential and under 2 acre commercial, they're going after the big big commercial stuff.

14. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

So I called my buddy and asked him this Q. He was driving and couldn't remember the molecular specific weight of carbon dioxide.......but here is the basic answer.

A snow melter, producing 18 million BTU an hour is running about 70% efficent, meaning the coversion of the BTU produced vs. the actually melting it is doing.

Anyway they will be buring about 100 gallons of diesel an hour to produce that many BTU's, when you do all the math it works out to 1200 standard cubic feet per minute of C02, carbon dioxide.

I guess i could google the specific weight, but will let someone else do it, I'm sure it will be more then a ton per hour

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I think it appears to be a great product.
    As to the contaminants; one way or another it will enter storm drains or leach into ground depending where the snow is stacked.
    This is almost a similar case when my state years back claimed sand was contaminated after sweeping it up after a winter season; not the case any longer.

16. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Big Acres

the 600 peak would include salter and walks guys I would assume.

There customers like them but do not love them. I wonder how their other property management companies feel about being ignored for a property management company that is out of business (opus)

Guess I called them Friday to point the article out......

17. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

For being such a large company, it's amazing TCOS can't take pictures of any of their vast quantities of equipment. Just about every photo on their website is from Istockphoto.com or the snow dragon website... Just saying... If I had that kind of gross revenue every year, I'd at least sink a little of it into my website and taking pictures of at least a few of that vast list of equipment... Unless of course they don't own any... Hmmmm... The only picture I could find of their own equipment is an old chevy and a trailer with some blowers...

PS. I like the comment someone posted on there, "no wonder star tribune is bankrupt..." :laughing:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  18. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

More co2 helps my trees grow.

19. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

It was an interesting article. But, a 30 page proposal?

20. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Yeah, I'm sure it does include shovelers. Their old website showed a warehouse full of ariens snowblowers and talked about their dealership staus with Ariens (I think).

Used to do a few sites for ONW... hadn't heard this news, but I haven't chased them in a couple seasons.