1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goo in Pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by breezmister, Oct 17, 2007.

1. breezmister

breezmister Junior Member

Over the week end I did some service for one of the LCO in the complex I work in, been doing it every year since I started working here at the dealer.
    Anyway. there are 5 western plows I take care of, 2 ultamounts and 3 unimounts.Every year, since 2001, I changed the fluid and filters and hook them up to the trucks to make sure they wok. Last year I did the fluid/filter changes and out of the 5 plows, only two went out to worked, Green and Red. Both go on 99 F450s. Fluid was clear last year when I changed them. But the Green went out and maybe worked 8 to 10 hours before it came back in with a dirty filter. Changed the filter and fluid and off it went, no more problems. The Red worked maybe 5 hours all total, no problems. Then they got stored away for the year.
    This week end, did the service, changed the fluid/filters, both Red and Green ( Unimounts both are 8 years old ) had some kind of goo in the pump reservoir, both magnets had a film on them. I cleaned out the reservoirs, even used paper towels to get as much of the fluid out as I could. Filled them up and tested, they both worked fine. And yea, I do use Western fluid in my service, have been from the start in 01.
    All the fluid I use is at least 2 years old and is coming out of unopened bottles, how long it sat at the dealer, I don't know. So I was wondering, how long will the fluid last in a closed bottle before it breaks down and is the goo from that ? I have not had any goo in the other 3 plows using the same fluid
    The goo has no metal in it and floats in the fluid, if its not from a break down in the fluid, what would cause the goo ? Have I missed something ?
    Both plows raised and turned with no problems, should I be worried about the film on the magnets, it is metal and I would think it is coming from the pumps, unless this is a normal occurrence from normal ware and tear ?
    I havn't done enough plows over the last 30 years to have any base of real knowledge so any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A little metal is normal that's why the magnet. If it's excessive it could mean the pump is starting to wear. Are the pump pressures normal?

The goo is interesting. If you're sure nothing else has been added then the fluid could be gelling or breaking down. Is it coming out of the bottle in gobs?

I get the feeling you're pulling the motor. are you replacing the gaskets when you service? Could they be leaking around the motor, allowing a unknown substance into the reservoir?

3. breezmister

4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Is there a chance that the goo is condensation. Having sat all summer in the sun maybe? Then cooling off in the evening might have been just enough to do it. My $0.02 Hippy

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'd say condensation also, as well as some aluminum, some seal and o-ring wear, some packing material.

6. breezmister

That was what I thought, but the other 3 plows had no goo, and they did no work last year
    The Ultramounts are painted black pumps, so I would think that they would get hotter then the unimounts that are red. The Only difference is that these two plows have maybe 10 hours on them from last year.
    If it is condensation, then that would mean that the fluid I just used is bad,,,,,,,,,,,

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Are you flushing the cylinders also?

Is the Goo stringy or paste like?

8. breezmister

Yep, I have the plows on the forks of a skid steer

It's paste like, like paper that has set in water for a long time..

9. Crash935

White or black in color?

Are you using pipe dope or thread tape on the hose fittings?

10. breezmister

I'll say it's black... are very dark blue. Anti seize

11. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

does this say you are using anti-sieze on your fittings?
    If so, STOP DOING THAT - reflush the system.
    If it's black re-check all the seals and/or replace ( at least the damaged ones)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  12. breezmister

No, I'm useing the anti seize on the drain and filling and level plugs. I check the seals for tightness and they where fine. So you think that the anti seize is the problem ? I've been useing it for years and never had this problem before. I don't recall reading anything in the manual about not using anti sieze......

13. Crash935

I doubt thats its the anti-seize or condensation. Sounds like its a cross between normal wear of the pump and packing seal breakdown. Normal breakdown of the pump looks like a black/grey fine powder (like a pencil lead ground up), packing will be a little stringy. Its normal to have some wear or packing, but if its plugging up the filter in a short time period you have something wrong.

14. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Are the rams over extending?

I had a bunch of Unimounts that the Quadrants had the stop welded in the wrong spots and it beat up the packing. Angle the plow and make sure it hits the stops