1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gonna jump back in

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Machu10, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

Hello all,
    I am just getting back into plowing after about 10 years away from it, been doing some light plowing here and there with other peoples equipment, But now I am setting my own rig for next season, I will be using a 92 Sonoma 4x4 with a fresh 355 V8 and a fresh 700r4, I was gonna use this truck for an off road toy, but decided to get back into snow removal instead, I know a lot of guys say the S-series can't handle heavy plowing, but I used to use a 84 bone stock s10 with a 2.8 that had a 7.5 western, I used that truck to plow about 10 decent size commercial lots plus 4 apartment complexes I used to own, I ran that little truck to 266k miles with any problems, just regular maintenance, in fact the guy who bought it still uses it to this day on the apartments, I love the fact that these little trucks are so maneuverable, and with the V8 conversion it should have plenty of power, this time around I will be using a Meyer 6.5 poly blade and maybe fab some wings that I can easily remove for open lots, and I am looking at doing small commercial lots and driveways, so the Sonoma should hold up fine, I don't have a body or suspension lift right now and would like to keep it that way,
    I am now looking for tires and was wondering if anybody on here has used or is using Trxus STS tires? I have read on the net that they are great in the snow but I don't know how they would work for plowing? I like the fact they come in a 29x10.50x15 size that would fit my truck without clearance issues, and OK they look pretty neat too! lol, let me know what you guys think, also any other ideas on getting this little truck ready to work?

2. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I'm running a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and love them, you should check em out
  3. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

the grapplers look great, but they don't list any 15" sizes on there website,
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ahhh your 2.8 could push a 7 1/2 and your getting a 6 1/2 for your 355 V8?

If you really want to push snow get yourself some Blizzak or similar tires and stop worrying about "how they look" cause they look like crap if the other truck out pushes you. And my little jeep with blizzaks with a 7 1/2, outpushes the F250 with all season tires my helper uses .
  5. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

The only reason I am going with a 6.5 is because its what I already have setting in my garage, I have no problem using a 7.5, but why put out more money for another blade when I already have this one collecting dust? It possible that if I find a bigger blade I will use it, But for now I am planning on using what I already have.
    And your right, It don't matter how tires look, they could made of gold and studded with diamonds, but if they don't work, there useless in this business, I was just mentioning the fact that they look neat, and just wanted to know if anybody is using them or has used them, The Blizzak's are one of my choices as they come in a size to fit my truck, but I don't think they would be too good to use year round, so I would have swap out tires for summer, I didn't really wanna do that but I guess I could pick up a second set of wheels and it would not be not such a big deal.
  6. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Then get the trxus tires, and if they don't perform well in the snow you can have them as sumemr tires, and buy the blizzaks too
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

My opinion....

If all you were going to plow is a few residential drives your truck would be ok.

But..... for lots and most plowing applications a 3/4 ton with a 8ft+ blade is the way to go. There more efficient and that translates to more $$ in your pocket.

You have all summer to sell the somona and get a real plow rig....
  8. theplowmeister

from MA

keep the smaller trucks greased and checked. if you do driveways smaller IS better!! My jeep can do twice as many drives and do a better job than a 3/4 truck can, and thats $$$ smaller trucks cost less to buy cost less to maintain (even with the added maintenance of a small truck) and you can BILL MORE accounts. payup

I can do 98 drives in 8 hours.
    My average drive is 100 X 10 with a 2 car garage in an L shape. An F250 is to big to backdrag most of my garages.

So how much can you make with 98 drives like theis in 8 hours.

Avridge drive.JPG
  9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i wish i had 98 drives every storm
  10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I agree. The little trucks do fine for drives, but you mention commercial too so I'd also suggest a bigger rig.
    We run a Jeep w/ a 6.5 Meyer Poly. In the big wet heavy storms it comes up short on ability. I have to go back and push back some banks w/ my big truck.
    If your still intent on using this what U have, then. I'd suggest a couple of things. That little blade only has 2 small trip springs / fab a mount and put on a 3rd, also weld on some trip stops-when the blade tilts back it really doesn't have much to stop it-reinforcement behind the blade would help-its on my list for the end of this season.
    Also, your talking about some BIG tires for in snow. My opinion, tires are too big, you'll do alot of floating up on the snow. Get tires that are more standard size to the vehicle. We run Wranglers!
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you can do those drives like the ones that are pictured,
    98 of them in 8 hrs with your jeep. I can do them in less time with my full size rig......

Their perfect for a full size rig. Their nothing special.about them .
    there is plenty of room for a full size truck...

What makes a truck to big to back drag?

Ps.. I'm not saying you can't plow with a jeep just that those drives are not so tight where maneuverability is an issue.

12. theplowmeister

from MA

have you ever used a jeep?
    I use to use an F150, sold it after I used a Jeep.
    I have a contractor that plows for me with an F250. He cant do theis drives his truck is as long as the distance from the garage to the lawn under 20 FT. My F150 with plow and 8Ft bed was ~19 ft long, how are you going to backdrag from the garage. the truck cant even make the corner to the first garage.
  13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

we do some tight places with an F350 and the key is going at them at an angle when you are going to backdrag them have the blade angled so it is straight with the garage door and back out turning the wheel at the same time.
  14. theplowmeister

from MA

OK I quit you win (this IS the internet) a Jeep 1/2 the size of you truck is no faster and wont do a better job in tight places.
  15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Im not trying to argue with you a jeep is better for tighter places im just saying it can be done with a full size most of the time.
  16. Machu10

Machu10 Junior Member
    from iowa

Gee, I didn't mean to start a big vs small war here, LoL
    some people just like their full size trucks and some people want the smaller trucks, to each his own.
    I personally like the smaller trucks for the fact that most of the driveways in my area are kinda narrow,
    I know guys that plow very big lots with jeeps, and I seen guys plow a very narrow driveways with a dually, I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I appreciate the input on the tires,
    You really think a 10.50 is to wide for plowing? I am gonna try the truxus tires, and if I don't like the way they push I will just use them for summer like Jimaug87 suggested, The wife has a new set of Goodyear forenza triple treds on her blazer, I really like the way they grip in the snow, lots of siping like the blizzak's but I think they'll wear better if I end using them as summer tires, and thanks for the tips on beefing up the trip springs and stops, I noticed a lot of the newer blades have a shock absorber along with the trip springs, think that might be something to add as well? I got lots of free time right now
    I have nothing better to anyway, and working on the truck gets me out of the house and away from the wife! LoL
    Oh yeah, in my original post I meant to say that I will remove the wings for tight drives and pop them on for open lots,
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Why yes we DID have a Jeep with a Sno-Way DP it was a good combo.
    So, I know what Jeeps are all about
    We run 3 2500's only no jeep or 1500's
    Obviously our business plains are different.

... but ......Those are very average drives.
    I would call them very easy to plow.

Yes the 10.5's are still to wide to be a good choice for plowing.
    Think narrow and tall this not an off-road-rig it is going to be a plow rig.

so build accordingly.
    Off road springs are all so a poor choice.

good luck...
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  18. Brandon

Brandon Member

I still get a kick outta all these guys that say small trucks can't plow! Ever try one? It may not be ideal for what you need, but they do have a place in plowing. We have an '88 Ranger at work with a 2.9L and a 6.5' Meyer....that thing has pushed anything that was ever thrown at it. My last truck was a '97 Ranger with a 3.0L and 6'6" Unimount....worked great! Working on setting up my '03 Ranger next.