1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gonna buy a 2001 peterbilt

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by AintNoFun, Feb 1, 2006.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

hello, im going to look at a 2001 peterbilt 330 with the cummins and the auto trans. just curious what some thoughts are about this truck and if there is anything in paticular i should look out for? thanks

2. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

i dont know too much about the auto trannys in a truck of that size but pete makes a great truck and cummins a great motor so best of luck.

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

love my 01 330.Just keep with the cummins and stay away from the oil leaking cat motor (unfortunatly I have a few ) auto trans has held up well but it doesnt like soft ground,go with an exhaust brake and it will pay for itself.If you are a taller person ,get an 2002 as the cab rear window has been moved backward and it gives you about 4 more inches of room.And remember to grease the front spring shackles weekly or you will here a pop when you turn the wheel.If you have any questions just ask.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

cool. i appreciate the input.. i dont have a cdl yet but im waiting for one of my drivers who does to go pick the truck up fri. or sat. ill post some pics.. thanks again

5. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

any pics?:redbounce

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

this is from when we picked it up at the dealer.. the truck IS very dirty and were painting it out colors sometime this week..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Nice looking truck, I know the earlier models had a TSB on the seat belt anchor bolts for the upper belt mount. With only a single screw, and small engine you most likely have a lighter GVW like 33,000-36,000 so you should have the Allison 3060 which is a pretty good trans. IIRC the heavier GVW, larger engine, & twin screw models came with the 4060 trans. IMO as far as the body craftsmanship, well it is a Paccar company so it is ok, middle of the road for quality, same as Kenworth. Better then Freightliner, worse then Volvo. You said you were going to repaint it, I hope your Co. colors are dark since you have a lot of chrome, and aluminum so it will show nicely when it is clean.

8. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Did that truck come from HOMESTEAD ? in MASS:gunsfiring: :eek:

9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

im judging by the guns, thats not a good thing?

10. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I beleive the company went under!!! If they coulnt pay their bills than you know they didnt matain that truck I would check it over verry good and make shure it is ok before you spend any money on it..... was it a repo? just my .02 :gunsfiring: :eek:

11. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

they had it on consignment, my mechanic whose the best around and went over it and found nothing wrong. the dealer told me he just bought 2 brand new trucks though so if he went under he reorganized very quickly..