1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gonna Build my own Trk Side Wire Harness Myslef - Any Extra Tips ??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LittleEfrom KC, Oct 18, 2009.

1. LittleEfrom KC

LittleEfrom KC Junior Member

I have a Western Uni-Mount Plow. NO wiring harness for truck side. Plow side DOES HAVE all wiring.
    Gonna buy repair kit (both plugs) set-up for trk side & build my own wiring harness to save money, also because I want it set up a lil different than factory harness ( gonna seperate plow lights from trk lights w/switch, put in seperate battery/solenoid switch to shut off ALL power to plow and controls, etc. )

I'm a very good electrician, skilled mechanic and very skilled all round with anything mechanical and construction.
    The Question I'm asking --- Is there any new updates, add-ons, or do you have any ideas I should keep in mind while doing this ???

I have all Electrical Schematics for Plow and Truck wiring. And I also plan on installing my Relay's (Relay board) etc. INSIDE my truck for easy access.
    Any info is Appreciated -- Thanks, Eric
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. LittleEfrom KC

Also -- I Forgot to List -- Truck is a 96 GMC Z-71 4x4 And Plow is a Western Uni-Mount , 2 Plug 9 pin harness. So it has NO Isolation Module. If it did I would buy a Harness !!! And I have a Western Joystick for it. AND -- I have already built my Truck Mount, and installed it. No problems there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I would just go with the right harness
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What truck?
  5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Basher - 96 GMC

OP- I would go with the origional harness, otherwise you will be cutting into the controller harness of a exspensive controller..... Just get one off ebay, I see them go for around $100, then modify it. As for the location of relays for easy access, mine sit right in my second battery tray. easy to mess with.
  6. LittleEfrom KC

-- Thanks guys -- about the Relay's -- figured out on my own i don't need em'.
    And about the harness / plugs -- If you found a 9 pin harness for around $100 bucks -- your lucky !! Good Luck - I haven't found one yet for less than $250.
    I already have part of it wired -- and I decided to go with a different plug I found that will work just the same, and it was free.
    As for the SWITCH -- BEFORE the solenoid -- I already have A switch that will work, not sure if I'm gonna use it yet.

-- for the Joystick , I'm not gonna cut the joystick wire, I already have the male plug that plugs into the joystick, and it has about 12 inches of wire attached.

I just figured why spend $200 or $300 bucks, when I have all the stuff to do it myself. Got the wire, plugs, Joystick, etc.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Makes no sense to build your own. The part you need is readily available and in-expensive.
  8. Thomas.Creation

Thomas.Creation Member

I built one for a meyers plow. It's not complicated if you know your way around car electronics. I spent a total of $20 and 2-3 hours of time. Solder everything and cover it with heatshrink. I'm sure you can gues why. Mine was on a 99 gmc. You can splice your turn signal wires in and use a 5 poll relay. In the normaly off possition your normal headlamps will come on, switch the relay on and it will direct the power to the plow lights. Thats how I did it anyway. Works nice. You said you had the plow controller so that part should be a sinch to. Good luck!
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While I certainly don't condone hand building a harness, especially when it's something you enjoy doing (as I do too) I wouldn't take the time when it can be had inexpensively

Here's an example: 61515 This is the COMPETE harness kit less battery cables, underhood solenoid and controller. Everything else will be there.