1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gona take the plunge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by T-W Plowing, Jan 30, 2005.

1. T-W Plowing

T-W Plowing Junior Member

in june and get back into plowing after being out of it for some time.Going to be doing drives,would like to do some commercial but can't find anyone to insure our future co.(T-W Plowing).I know for sure I can get a 2 mcdonalds,1 bk and a some small lots but not going to do them with no insurance.
    Insurance for the drives in taken care of but sure would like to do those comercial lots.
    Looking at a short box 4x4 with 7.5'western or a 3/4 ton 4x4 with western vplow not sure yet.
    Truck will be a 2005 chevy or gmc,we get gm discount.
    Big boss(wife)said pick whatever I want. :)
    What is your trigger for drives,have heard everything from 1"to 4"? When I did it before it was 1".
    Any thoughts on this setup or help you could give us would be great.I know it's a few months away but thought I would run this past you guys.
    Thanks
    Tim & Wendy

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you have General Liability insurance for Residential, then you should be able to add Commercial properties. Have you talked to your agent?

If I were you and had my choice of vehicles, I'd go for the 3/4 ton with an 8' straight. Maybe consider a V-plow or 810 Blizzard. These might be better for those lots if you get them. Another reason for the 3/4 ton is that you might want to start offering salting, especially if you start doing commercial accounts. You could at least put a tailgate model on a 3/4 ton. I've seen a V-box on a 3/4 ton that he said was an HD.

As for triggers, this will be dictated mostly by standard practice in your area. Here, I have all 3" triggers with all residentials. For commercial, they'll probably want a 1" or less trigger. You might want to think about pre-treatment methods. Whatever depth you decide, I'd suggest having all customers on the same depth, at least for residential. Just too hard to try to keep straight you wants what if they're all different. Just don't give them a choice. I tell them "I use a 3" trigger", then it becomes their choice of going by that or finding someone else. So far, I've never lost a customer over the trigger.

One issue I've run into this year I hadn't had before is the snow that gets pushed up by the city plow. I don't know why it's never come up before, just hadn't. Anyway, you really want to address this issue, especially in the case of apartments and businesses. Figure out how much you want to charge for returning to do these, because invariably the city plow will come by after you've been there and gone.

3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

remember on those v-plows no back drag blade. driveways are harder to get clean w/o a backdrag. trigger for me is 1.5in. some commercial at 1in. 3/4 ton truck is a minimum. we run all F350's up here. make sure that along with a city plow clause you also provide ice removal, snow and ice go hand in hand. good luck!!! payup payup

4. T-W Plowing

T-W Plowing Junior Member

Things have changed since I wrote the post.
    Have a very good chance to retire this year and move up north so going to put this idea on hold for now.
    Wife and I have land up north all paid for and for the price of that 3/4 ton truck with a v-plow,we could build ourselfs a nice little cabin all paid for.
    Sorry to take your time up but we don't want to miss out on our dream we have had forever.

5. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

take the cabin choice every time. have a great time!!! :bluebounc :bluebounc

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That was a pretty quick change - 25 1/2 hours. But good luck with your cabin.

I got real lucky - got to do it all: Built a house in the middle of 60 acres of woods, then retired six years later and built up the snow plowing business to a nice little five-hour route. :bluebounc

Have fun :waving: