1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going V switching brands

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by supercuts, Oct 13, 2011.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

after having 5 meyer POS plows im dumping them and starting last year switching to Boss power vxt plows. dropped off my truck last night, picking it up with my 2nd today. ive had enough of meyer excuses on why they dont work. im not only talking about 5 year old plows, but brand new plows. first season and it freezes? screw your "did you change the fluid" theory. Meyer plows suck. how bad is it that i had 2 spare pumps kicking around. as I sell off the meyer plows the spare pumps alone make up a good portion of the cost on the new plow.

years ago i bougth a boss v but the day before it was supposed to be on i called then dealer in Middletown ct and he said it was backorded. thanks for letting me know......in a panic I started a horrible trend of buying new overpriced meyer plows and kept buying them so they were interchangable. only they werent. the md2 doesnt work on the ez plow, my e58h doesnt owrk in place of the e60h, luckily the e57h did. live and learn. and every time they came out with a "great new reliable" pump they not only broke quick but were not made after one or two years.......great job meyer. meyer seems to be failing

2. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

My Meyers dealer matched any written quote from a dealer and have stood behind any issues I have had which have been minimal. The biggest issue I have had was the welds on the ribs on the back of the wings started to pull apart so they replaced both wings. The new Monarch pump has been flawless for 2 years now.

I was going to go with a Boss, but two features I do not like about it was the V wings are a spring return so they will won't be much use for wriggling out of a snow bank when you get stuck. The other feature I do not like and no one has been able to explain it, is how does a full board trip when it is in the scoop or v position? Seams like the truck is going to take a lot more abuse than a plow with a trip edge.

Just my $.02 Hope you have good luck.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

A Boss V will trip in the V or scoop the same way any other plow with trip in any position. If you want to save your truck from abuse simply know where obstacles are and don't hit them. I've never hit anything that hard in years of plowing.
    As for reliability of Boss plows, I've owned my V since 06. Changed the fluid once and replace 2 return springs, that's it. It's a very reliable plow. Mine looks almost new other than a little fading and rust here and there.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

supercuts- have you ran any Boss plows yet? how do you like them? I just sold off my Fisher and am considering jumping ship as well. I'm tossing around an Extreme V, Boss Power V, and the Snowdogg VX.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Here is a video comparing Fisher XV to Boss VXT. I realize the video is bias since it was made by Fisher but right around the 2 minute mark it show the difference between trip edge and full trip. In the long run I think it will just be personal preference and what you can get serviced in your area. No plow will be any good if you have to wait a few days for parts to come in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSVGvvTqO8s

6. plowguy43

Its been beaten to death by both Basher and B&B stating that the plow they used in the Video couldn't have been setup properly. I've also seen full moldboard trip plows "trip" and they don't do that to the truck.

7. kimber750

Don't know, I have never owned a Fisher or a Boss. Just thought it was an interesting video showing the differences between the two.

I have been using Meyer for years with good results. I am switching to Fisher XV this year mainly because my local dealer only carries Fisher or Meyer, and I don't like the Meyer V plow.

8. plowguy43

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they full trip is a little harder on the truck but not nearly as bad as that video makes it out to be.

I'm possibly sticking with Fisher but it really all comes down to the mighty $$$. My truck is still setup for a Fisher so it'd be easy to stay on board, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I like the Meyer V as well, its just slow when compared to the Fisher/Boss/Snowdogg hydraulics.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

No offense that video is like the tv commercials selling knives. They take x brand knife and purposely mash the hell out of a loaf of bread, then take their brand and gently cut the bread. They over exaggerate to sell their product.

10. kimber750

Like I said I know it is bias. I know Fisher is not going to post a video showing another plow is better than theirs. I can't wait to see how the XV works out for me. But I know that it comes down to how you treat your equipment. Guy came into my local shop last year with Fisher 8' HD that was bent into a V after hitting a manhole at 35 mph. So the trip edge didn't help out there. I picked Fisher because I have very rarely seen them come into shop unlike the meyers'. Now most the Meyers' were older plows but there was also some newer ones. Also the owner of the shop runs a Fisher, thats gotta mean something.

11. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

i bought my first 8'2" vxt last year. i could not have surrived the unheard of winter here last year without it. we had 18", 30", and 24" storms on top of the normal storms. the two other 8.5 meyer plows would lift pushing that much snow and get stuck in teh 6" of snow they left. i could plow straight through to payvent first pass

IMG_0119.jpg

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That is the exact same video Western has out for their trip edge. When I say exact I mean word for word and even the same guy.

Look at the separation of the wing on the Fisher and Western. You can see it almost breaking welds as it trips those "rocks". It is a sales video that they like to show people. When they say it wont trip in scoop that is a lie not to mention when you are in scoop it should be for clean up or moving a pile where you know if there are obstacles or not.

I'll stick with The BOSS. Less down time and a better plow so far makes up for the lack of an trip edge.

13. Marek

Marek Senior Member

We ripped all of our Myer plows off in 96 and started buying Westerns and have had little to no problems with them. We have sent all of our subs to our Western dealer for plows too. It seems if a unit goes down it is normally yellow. Have not tried a Boss yet but may , know lots of guys who use them and they love them. They are priced alot cheaper then the Westerns.

14. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Your right, I've been around Meyer plows before and they are a complete joke. I honestly have no idea how a company can put out a product that horrible and still be in business. I'm not a fisher, western, or blizzard fan, but they are at least a nice plow. Good move on the Boss, I did the same thing from fisher and could not be happier.

15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

another meyer hater here. had an e60 on a 2000 chevy. HATED IT, nothing but problems, crossover valve, lifts in deep snow, slow. went to western ultramounts and love them. i have a boss smart hitch and its a nice unit too. havent plowed with it yet, but its fast.

16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Oh c'mon guys! Meyers are good plows...

For your competitors... :gunsfiring:

I'm surprised you never hear about all the racket the fishers with the stainless skin make! Holy crap! :dizzy: Maybe I'm used to a solid blade, but man, I don't think I could take that metal on metal rattle all night long... :dizzy:

17. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I ran Diamond plows on every truck I have owned since '89 (8 trucks), and switched to a Boss 8"2" V on my '08 GMC 3500HD. After three winters, and the experience with the Boss, I put another 8'2" Power VXT on my '11 GMC 2500HD. I was told by my supplier that after the first I would never look back, and he was right. The Boss has been trouble free, and the only replacement was the cutting edge after the third season.

18. plowguy43

I loved my Xblade, actually felt a lot more solid / less chattery (even a word?) than the HD Fisher's I used before.

Great to hear, they are some nice plows.

19. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I have had Diamonds on all my trucks since 1988.Never had any issues other than minor stuff.
    I actually put a Fisher V on my new 2011 2500 only because my local Diamond guy dropped them for snow dogg!

20. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

How does a Boss plow trip in scoop? I know it will trip once the wings are forced back till its straight then the entire plow will trip forward. To me and its just my observation ONLY that it would transfer a lot of that force into to truck before it gets a chance to do what its designed to do! If this isnt correct explain it to me cause i dont get it.