1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to use balast for the first time this year!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow_Control, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Snow_Control

Snow_Control Junior Member

So this year I decided to put some balast in the truck. The last few years in the Chicago land areas weren't to bad in the way of snow falls, but I noticed that my brand new tires last year took a beating during the winter. I always thought that balast was just a waste of gas but people swear by it! So I currently have 640 lbs of concrete in my bed all the way slammed to the gate. Is this enough weight? Is it to much? What have you guys noticed with useing balast besides?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

what truck and blade are you running?
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to Plow Site !

Usually you put the weight of your plow in the back of your truck to counter ballance it. Remember to find some way to secure the weight so that it doesn't come flying through your cab if you hit something solid. Good Luck.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I prefer a little more than the weight of the blade as most trucks are lighter in the rear than the front to begin with.

definitely keep it strapped down well. we lost a bin of salt off the back of a truck last year when we had a slide off a driveway, what a mess, 300lbs of salt all over a lawn.
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I think you are right on the extra weight as the plow weight of the plow is way out in fron't of your truck and you have to compensate for that inside the truck bed. Now if you can put it out in back of the truck like the plow is out in fron't, then the same weight would be ok.
    I did mine but measuring the height of the truck with the plow on the ground and then raised the plow and measured that distance. I then added weight until the raised distance was the same, if not more, as the lowered distance.
  6. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

This is just one more reason to get a good sized tailgate spreader. Not only can you put the weight of a plow in the larger ones (or darn close to it), they extend almost as far behind your rear axle as the plow extends beyond your front. Still, we ALL know someone who gets on just fine with 500 pounds of tube sand in the bed of their truck.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I use to put almost 1000lbs in the back of my truck, It helped but i found that you don't really need that much. 400-500lbs in the back of a 3/4 ton is more then enough. You just need enough weight in the back to keep the tires from spinning. anymore is just wasting gas.
  8. Snow_Control

Snow_Control Junior Member

2500HD ex cab w/ 8.5 ultra mount
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

as a few guys have mentioned 1000lbs is right around what I aim for in a full size truck with a 8-9' blade.

I run a salter which is 610lbs and then a load of salt (1500 - 2000lbs) does awesome, I push mostly in 2wd unless its steep or i'm out of salt. I'm heavy at the start and light at the end, but theres not much of a way around that.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

so youve never had anything in the bed prior wtf?

you can basically plow in 2wd almost all the time on the pavement with enough weight in the back.

We run at least one full skid of salt int he F350s, 10 bags of calcium at minimum and then i pack in 50lb bags wherever i can.. Probably in the area of 3500-4000lbs to start and we dont run empty when were done normally.

The dually f350 i get nearly two skids in, but the 2nd we have to stack up rows of bags and pack them in. I also load up the spreader that holds 800 or 900lbs on the tailgate boss units too... should never need 4x4 unless its real slick plowing.
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would add more ballast.
    A few salt or tube sand bags is a good idea if you get stuck
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

My crew cab short box usually has 1000lbs evenly distributed (salt spreader) plus salt sometimes, but I'm way overloaded with a full spreader and 8611lp off the front. It plows well with or without the spreader, but is definitely well balanced with it in the bed.

The trucks without spreaders run 1000lbs behind the rear axle, they plow well.

The chevy plow trucks seem to be a little lighter in the tail than the fords...
  13. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

You are being kinda of vage with your description.. check out Western's site for minimum ballast requirements for your particular truck.. But also keep the weight behind the rear axle.. just like your plow weight is out in front of your truck, putting more torque and displaced weight on your front axle. you want to counteract that by keeping the ballast as far back as you can.
  14. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

640#'s will be perfect, enough to give traction, but not so much where youre burning up fuel, or Im assuming GAS