1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to tear into my rockers, first time doing body work

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SharpBlades, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

The rockers on my 01 two wheel peel have seen much better days.

I picked up the replacements from keystone yesterday, and I'm feeling the urge to get started.

Any pointers before I get too far?

I'll try to take pictures along the way. :)

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Take your time and don't use pop rivets. It's a easy job when done right. Keep a pail of water and a wet rag handy so as to cool your welds to avoid warpage. don't try to weld a complete seam at once do it in short runs. You may already know this but i threw it in anyway.I am a body man by trade just incase your wondering and the reason i don't do it anymore is i absolutely hate doing it unless i have to on my own vehicles. I'll help anyway i can. Good Luck

3. SharpBlades

Thank you for the advice. How hard are the inner rockers to do? I thought I might be able to get away without doing them, but it looks like I will probably have to at least do the right side

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Rust is always deeper in the panel than it looks from the outside, really sucks.

Only thing I'll add is coat the inside of the panel with Por15 or something similar to seal the inner panel, or you'll be doing it again in no time.

5. SharpBlades

I was planning on fluid film... Por 15 is so darn expensive

6. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

fluid film will work well, just apply it after it is installed.

7. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

Just finished this job. Cut off the outer, the separate the inner at the spot welds , replace the inner and coat liberally with rust killer not fluid film. Cut and fitment is tedious. Good luck.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

$50 a quart to make this a 1 time deal or fluid film and have them rust out again a few years down the toad $$$

9. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

get a nice spot weld cutter it will make removing the old one a lot easier. also CLAMPS they help getting it all in place and to stay there i also use one about every 6-8 inches. when welding use the correct setting and only tack weld or it will just melt the metal and make a lot of holes which makes a pain in the ass for you. TAKE YOUR TIME

10. SharpBlades

I got all the spot welds cut on both sides, and the right side outer rocker off yesterday.

don't be too harsh with the criticism, like I said this is my first time, but how does it look so far? :dizzy:

right side rocker.jpg

rocker off.jpg

11. SharpBlades

the left side was much more rusted... a nice hole just big enough to fit a couple fingers through.

left side rocker rot.jpg

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Not trying to steal the thread, but does anyone know why that body style is rusting like that so early?? Man, if you remember the OBS (pre '99) they seem to rust a lot less. I still consider a 2000 to be a NEW vehicle, doesn't seem like that long ago. Also, any good fixes on the bottoms of the doors? I FF my new (03) Tahoe, and the passenger side is worse than the drivers side, but I dont really want to pay for skins if I dont have too. they still look good on the outside, but it will only be a year or so and it will come through... Maybe Ill buy stock in FF:nod:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  13. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

not to bad, just make sure to get rid of all the rust on the inner rocker

14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I would rust doctor the crap out of it.

15. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

you might want to replace that section of floor thats rusted bad since you will have the rocker off.

16. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

I did one side last year still have to do the other . when i did mine i bought 2 rockers cause they are cheap 30.00 each , i trimmed one of them and fit it inside the other one to double it up , welded them together with spot welds then used seam sealer , then coated the back with that fiberglass bondo to really seal it up . turned out ok for what the truck is, im not a painter so used oil based implement paint . i hate rust but dont care about perfect paint .

body 1 - Copy.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  17. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

```````````````````````````````````````````

body 2 - Copy.JPG

18. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

body 5 - Copy.JPG

19. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member