1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going to start snow removal and new

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by garagedude, Nov 19, 2010.

1. garagedude

garagedude Junior Member
    from Ky

I now have a small parking lot with sidewalks to clear and possible some small driveways.I'm thinking about a walk behind snow blower. I noticed that Husqvarna has variable speed instead of the usual 6 speed, Is that an important option to look at? Also some have the traction controlled steering which sounds good?? How is Cub Cadet for snow blowers? Any ideas would be great. I want about 6-8 driveways or so for now. Maybe more later..

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

your gonna do a parking lot and driveways with a snowblower????
    hope you get it all done when the customers want out

3. garagedude

garagedude Junior Member
    from Ky

Thats one of my "things to think about" is how long would it take using a snowblower. I've never used one. I know it would take longer than a 4 ft blade? Not sure I can afford a blade for my garden tractor and a snowblower.

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

You better buy a huge snowblower or else it will bog down once you start completing your final passes.

I hate husqy because of the products that they have and I've use; they don't have enough power.

You should buy a blade for your tractor not 4' more like 42" and plow ith that. Get weights and tire chains too!

You know what, disregard everything I said, sub it out!
    Your in way over your head.

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

New snowblower? Around $1000.
    6 Driveways @ $35 a piece (if you're lucky)? $210 per snowfall--6 snowfalls before you maybe break even.
    Watching the guy in the plowtruck do the driveway across the street in 3 minutes? Priceless.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

figure about 20 mins per drive with a blower versus 3-5 mins with a blade....if your lucky

7. garagedude

garagedude Junior Member
    from Ky

Ok, forget the snowblower idea. So I need a blade for my garden tractor, its a 2550 Cub, Factory blade is 750, Johnnyproducts blade about 1200, Bercomac varies...

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Snow blowers have the tendency to clog in wet snows....

9. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Unless your trying to save money by doing your own driveway/s then I would just stop this thought process. Your never going to do much with a blower unless your 15 and want to pick up some extra coin to go the movies with your pals.

10. JohnWI

JohnWI Junior Member

I'm in the same potential boat...I'd like to do some small driveways...i.e. 40 foot drives, 1-2 widths. I can't possibly see doing this with a truck. Easily 1/2 of the snow would be left if you backed into it. Personally I can't stand most backdragged areas (packing down a snowy/icy layer), so that would mean 1/2 is done via crappy backdragging and 1/2 done properly. I can only see this working out with a medium size, heavy duty or pro blower.

Husq has the only hydro option short of the mighty Hondas. AND it offers steerable triggers vs the Hondas.

Other options are the 24-30" Ariens or Simps, which both are multi speed drives and the concept of a hydro REALLY works it's strength of versatile speed in my brain. Any idea if the 1st gear on those two are super, super slow to allow you to go a constant speed through the End Of Drive stuff? I usually see the mid grade stuff underpowered so you have to inch it forward and let off, then start/stop, etc.

Thoughts?

11. BooshF250

BooshF250 Junior Member

a blower takes way too much time for those type of applications. I used to snow blow my own driveway, which is 200ft with triple wide at the bottom plus three parking pads. 45 minutes minimum per clearing, sometimes 3x a day.

I bought a F250 with a western 7.6 straight blade and it takes me 5 minutes max. I have a back dragging blade as well as the pushing blade to get the clean scrape. I'm new to all of this too but honestly the blower is for homeowners not contractors when your talking about driveway clearing in my opinion

12. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If you live where you only get a few inches at most you may make out ok with a snow blower, But if you live where you actually get SNOW and you want to do driveways you better go with a plow. I just don't think you could actually make money doing them with a snow blower, when you figgure in your gas, time, insurance, you'll be making $1 or $2.00 an hour at best.either that or you'll have to charge so much the customers will tell you to get lost.