1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to look/buy a Western unimount 6.6 std plow tomorrow have a few questions+pics

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by WhitePlowr, Jul 8, 2011.

1. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

hello a few questions. i found a local set up for my 99 cherokee it came off a 00 cherokee guy says its about 5 years old. has wiring, mount, bolts, handheld remote everything. asking $1600.00 so to start when did they stop making western unimount 6.6 std 60120 set ups???? then we can see if its only 5 years old . its not on the jeep so can i use a 12 volt car jumper pack to neg to neg pos to pos on motor to see if it moves etc or will i hurt something???? anything or any red flags i should be looking for? im gonna try to attach some pics tell me what you think im going tomorrow morning. ussmileyflag

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

pics

pics should work now

plow 21.JPG

plow 28.JPG

plow22.JPG

plow 27.JPG

plow 29.JPG

3. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

bought it . guy would not budge $1600 firm

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He shouldn't have lowered his price.

You received an excellent deal even if you spend a couple hundred on parts.

I would spend a little money starting with a new 12 volt motor solenoid, save the one you have for back up,and some Meyer hydra-flush and premium plow fluid and a filter. Drain and flush the system, clean/replace the filter, then fill it back up with a premium plow fluid. Get a tube of dielectric grease and a can of Fluid Film while you're at it and clean all the electrical connections applying dielectric grease and use the fluid film for lubrication and rust protection.

5. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

I plan to do it all at the end of summer why hydra flush? where is there a filter? fluid film over other spray on protection?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

because IMO it is the best, blows WD-40, etc out of the water.

7. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

thanks will talk more when i get working on it

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

That's a really clean setup. Nice work and Cherokees plow really well.

9. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

good find man wish i coulda found something that nice good luck with the western

10. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i know i saw it and jumped like superman from earth to outerspace over it :) real real real happy with it. hi nicks we talked before we need to catch up soon. anyone using a cherokee to plow give me all the info and mods and conditions you have plowed in. hows the weight on the front end?? guys use air shocks but say they are rough and always leaking. other guys do stiffer springs. obviously the timbrens will be added. i feel the trans or t case or something is gonna snap plowing a full load of snow with that thing.

11. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Here's a bunch of pictures/videos of my Cherokee: http://www.flickr.com/photos/papa-bear/sets/72157625968849764/

I installed a tranny cooler (biggest one they had at Advance Auto) and the air shocks I had leftover from my lifted TJ. They're too long and limit upward travel, but the correct ones (for the rear of a TBird) should work great. They're bolt in and the air pressure can be adujusted, so stiffness shouldn't be an issue. Air leaks are probably more the result of improper sutep than anything else. Other than the cooler and air shocks, I haven't done anything and it's a tank. Oh, I do have a set of Winterforce tires on it that probably make a world of difference. So, tires, air shocks, trans cooler and some weight in the back and you're ready to go.

12. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i might upgrade to a wrangler but like the cherokee. what other difference is ther besides a solid frame???????. and on the older wranglers front leaf springs. engine trans t case diffs suspen size weight etc to me they are pretty close but the solid frame is important im guessing ...........

13. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

so much is that engine and trans working when you are pushing all that snow??????? seems like if a big pick up is doing the same work a small suv must be taking twice the abuse............

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

start with there are hundreds of us using them (jeeps) I guess we got it all wrong.

with Jeeps we are pushing 6 to 7 1/2 foot plows trucks 7 1/2 to what 9 foot (including wings)

we arnt stupid we dont plow wallyworld with them, driveways dont have as much snow buildup to push

15. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

i know they are good but cherokee vs wrangler .......... what are the biggest differences that are important for plowing besides the solid frame? anything else

16. theplowmeister

from MA

the back is closer to you (easier to judge distance when backing up. I can plow sideways in front of a 2 car garage and the wrangler turns tighter and in the wrangler you sit up higher (better viability of the plow) wranglers hood is narrower (better viability of the plow) Its got a frame.

I by my jeep for plowing I want the vehicle that will make me the most $$$ I dont want to plow wallywold or town streets I plow driveways. (that is period)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  17. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

ok how about mechanically? is one strong than the other stock obviously. drive train? suspension?

18. theplowmeister

from MA

Axles same wrangler and Cherokee
    engine same
    trans I dont know
    transfercase same (i think, I dont know of a difference between them)

19. WhitePlowr

WhitePlowr Senior Member

im guessing the diffs are about the same height?? the only way is to get off those 15" rims and get some meaty tires to gain a few more inches for better clearance for traveling and some other situations. i hate low diffs :)

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They make lift kits for Cherokees.