1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going to look at this 7.3 tommorw???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fatheadon1, Jul 31, 2014.

1. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

As the title says im going to look at what i think is a 7.3 jem but dont know much about the things to check other then oil pan so please let me know what to check or look at.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The truck is a 97 f250 7.3 4x4 auto has 168000 orignal owner guy was a carpenter and friend of a friend. The body was installed 3 years ago was a pick up most of its life. Has new fuel tanks brake lines, the bad abs light is on an the rust on the roof. What do i need to check out or any common problems to look for?
  2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good How much blow by? the rust on the roof might be a problem soon (leaking water) Body rust. Oh check the bottom of the doors they like to rust. normal- how the brakes n rotors look. Overall underneath if they greased the truck.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I would make sure it has a turbo , lot of noise not much power if it does not . Thumbs Up
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

A thorough inspection brake suspension all lines tyranny and motor if you buy it I have a western truck side bracket for sale only the bracket
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

How much? That rust on the roof is a problem or will be. Water intrusion can cause all kinds of nightmares. The ABS may be a simple fix. Feel for steering slop and tranny shifting when you drive it. Look for leaks and I'd start with the crank seals. Just look it over like any other used vehicle.

It has a turbo...it's a 97.
  6. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

Check the spring hangers, they usually rot off.
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

rust is your biggest enemy. sheetmetal problems usually exists where you expect them - rockers, cab corners, fender lips. that rust on the roof is strange and definetly a huge concern. i'd pull the headliner down to inspect further before buying.

outside of sheetmetal, areas to check for rust/rot are - spring hangers, brake lines, radiator support, rear upper shock mounts, and the oil pan. you gotta get under these trucks and really look around.

its a F250 so its got the not-so-great dana 50 front axle. the axle housings are known to crack where the springs mount to it. being i dont see a plow mounted on the truck, its probably ok, but if you plan to put a plow on it, expect cracks to develop. the combined weight of the diesel motor and a plow do not fare well for the dana 50. a dana 60 solid axle from a F350 is a great direct swap and will solve all front end problems.

as for the ABS light, these trucks had only rear ABS. i removed the rear abs valve entirely when i replaced all brake lines on mine. it is found under the driver floor pan/firewall. just tape up the electrical connection and tie it up and out of harms way. the ABS light on your dash to stay on, so i removed the bulb.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It still makes a lot of noise and not a lot of power even if it has a turbo in those obs trucks. Modded they can move right along but stock they're not overly impressive.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

How much are they asking ?
  10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Mark you can't say that on here. You know damn well the 7.3 is gods gift to snow plowers

11. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Granted, I'm not from up north; but I've never seen a truck rust on the roof like that. Is that common?
  12. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless the rest of the truck is rusty too, no. The only way that happens, i think, is when water just sits there.
  13. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

check the truck out very minimal rust anywhere, the spring hanger do need to be replaced and the roof does leak into the cab. other then that the truck runs shifts steers and stops great owner is starting at 4500 and willing to barter some tree work toward the truck. anyone wanna throw a number out to what they feel this truck is worth?
  14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I cant see how those old trucks are worth anymore than 3k.

I sold my 2000 F250 (gas) for 4000

Go 1500 cash and 1500 in tree work, thats a fair deal

Are you buying the truck for the body or buying for the truck??
  15. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I think 3500 with some tree work would be fair. That truck really does look clean besides the roof.
  16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

I'm been looking for a short bed utility body to put on my rotted 05 but they are big money then a buddy told me about this truck and I can always use another plow and salt truck so it would be set up for Masonary and asphalt work in summer and get a plow and saltee come winter. being I don't do missionary and asphalt full time just a day or 2 a week this truck would rot out befor I'd have powertrain problem
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That truck is worth that all day in new england. You could fix that roof and flip it for $6500 or so. I'd go with the tree work and 1500 or 2000 if you feel comfortable with it. You drove it, what is it worth to you? I just turned 190k miles on my 7.3 and she still runs like new with little to no blow by.
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Just speaking the truth. Stupid reliable but good lord are they slow. Especially with that E40D and towing. You'll get there, you might be late but you'll get there either way.

I'd say try and talk him down to $3500 or so plus the tree work. Those old trucks hold their value but being a 250 instead of a 350 does hurt it's value some too.
  19. joegreen12

joegreen12 Junior Member
    from NY

Not something you can really check for but you can ask if he changed the coolant often and made sure he put in a hd coolant with sca. These engines suffer from cavitation but with the proper coolant its not a problem.
  20. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

4500 sounds fair to me.