1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to look at my 1st diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Dec 27, 2008.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Going to look at a 93 f350 7.3 diesel. Don't know much about the diesels, I admit. The truck has under 100K and is in decent cosmetic shape. What should I look for aside from the usual Ford rust issues? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

when you turn the glow plugs on make sure the voltage gauge doesn't "jump"...it should sound smooth, when you tap the gas it should smoothly rev and not sputter...93 i am guessing is a Naturally Aspirated engine (no turbo)...if thats the case i would walk unless you get a killer deal...those old hogs were slow and cumbersome and the one we use to have sure smoked a lot

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks Dirt- What would a juming voltage gage indicate?

4. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

other than being a dog and a bit cold natured, they are a hell of an old beast. I have one that has 192000 and is still plugging along. Granted the truck fell apart around it and the motor and tranny are in a different truck, but the motor is still just a good a runner as it ever was, all 180 hp of her(thats at the flywheel). Plus its averaging 18 mpg with a 4.10 rear end and a five speed

5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

This will be an IDI, indirect injection diesel, not a powerstroke, those came available in 94, however in 93 a factory turbo was an option so it could be a turbo model.

I have a 93 naturally aspirated IDI, a couple things to look for are any fuel leaks around the injector pump(which is right in the middle front of the motor), check the injector lines for leaks, pull the dip stick out and check the oil don't be surprised if it's jet black it will get that way normally, if it's brownish/milky that an indication of water in the oil.

Another good thing to do is start the motor and pop the oil fill plug off, you should see a some oil mist come out, this is normal, even a far amount is normal, but if it's pouring out that is an indication of blown by (bad piston rings), look for oil leak around the front crank pulley(this indicated a leaking forward main seal), peak under the truck and look at the back of the motor (for a rear main seal leak).

But the good thing is the truck has under 100k on it, which is extremely low, I would expect you to find nothing of the above I mentioned. Heck mine has 292k on it and it's still a strong runner.

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yeah- I've heard they run forever but what should I look or listen for mechanically that may indicate a problem?

7. camconcrete

the only thing mechanically I would be too worried about is oil leaks, they do tend to use main seals and timing cover seals, can go through glow plugs every couple of years. But other than that there isn't too much to go wrong with the motor cause its all mechanical injection and it doesn't have enough power to hurt itself. And with less than 100k on it, I wouldn't think you would have to worry about the injector pump, though in the near future I would have it gone through and get all the seals replaced in it.

8. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks Doakster- Cam. Looking at it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out.

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Check page 3 of this post for a video of the sound of a running one, although this one has a slight hick up as explained in the post as to why.

The voltage gauge is also flickering in this video, this can be an indication of bad glow plugs. I'm kinda going through the same issue with mine right now. I was surprised at how well these guys trucks start in the cold, one guy down to -4 :eek: I just bought mine a month ago so I'm still getting used to it compared to my powerstroke, they are similar but very different.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20301

I also agree with Camconcrete on his comments.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  10. camconcrete

As long as she's plugged in:drinkup:
    i still carry a can of ether just in case

11. dirt digger

you should be fine...i have no gripes about the truck

ours ran pretty well until the slave cylinder went out in it, that was a little of a pain to replace...it pulled our Takeuchi TL130 fine, its not going to win any races but that isn't what you are buying it for...100K on an old diesel is great, they don't make diesels like they use to so the motor would be the least of my worries with that truck

a jumping voltage gauge most times only means it needs new glow plugs...could also mean something else

we sold our 93 F250 and moved on to a 1997 F250 powerstroke (bosses old truck) which allowed him to get a 2006 F250 powerstroke...

the problem we had with ours is the paint on the hood chipped away real bad, looked like sh*t

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Oh boy on the either

I'm a little finiky about being able to start my vehicles in cold weather, and notice in the other thread I posted I ask what's the coldest people have started their trucks in without plugging it in. I was surprised at -4 for one guy.

13. dirt digger

thats a pretty looking 8N Doakster...i bought one, fixed it up real nice and sold it...i miss that little baby

14. camconcrete

the 92 we had had a bit of a paint problem too, and the slave cylinder is a pain also( just put a new one on a couple of weeks ago) but that motor is now in a 1 ton 96 that started out life as a 5.8L gas. We have pulled everything imaginable with them, and they do just fine, but you won't be winning any races.
    My dad's old 88 ton truck had 290000 miles on it and all we did was replace head gaskets at 200000.

15. FordFisherman

from 06611

Appreciate all the feedback guys. Gotta admit I'm pretty excited about possibly plowing with a diesel after 18 yrs w/ gas plow trucks.

16. camconcrete

Just a quick shot won't hurt, just as long as you don't hold it down like spray paint.
    i have never plugged in my 04 dodge and I bought it new. Just last week I went out to start after it sat a few days and she fired right up and it was 0.

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks, I've slowly been rebuilding different parts of it and keep running it, it has a sherman hi/lo trans in it too, I've had it up to about 30mph, scary!! The pic in the avatar is will my half tracks on, but I just ordered a set of Ice/forestry chains similar to skidder chains for it that I'm going to run this winter.

Sorry to get off topic.

18. camconcrete

and if you are scared to use ether, you can use WD40 too. It tends to lubricate better than ether. Ether does tend to dry out the cylinder walls cause it burns so hot and fast

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I like to think of ether like crack, one you take some you have to keep hitting it. Just that little shot raises the cylinder pressure to the roof in a engine that already has high cylinder pressures, easy to do damage in that situation. Either is an excuse to get an engine running that has other issues.

To each his own, but either is any diesel is a no no, and an IDI will start up if the GPs are set up correctly.

20. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

It will be a big difference, big difference in torque as well.