1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to look at a used 810 tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Lawnman883, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

I am new to the blizzard plows. Is there anything in particular i should look for or avoid on a used 810? I think it is from the 2003 time frame. how hard are they to put on and take off the truck? i am used to plowing with westerns, and like how easy they come off, but i like the idea of the 810's features with the expandable wings. please give me any pointers so I dont make a mistake!
    thanks

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing more than the usual items on any used blade. Look for things that are bent, missing, damaged. Otherwise you won't be able to tell if everything works unless he still has it wired to his truck.

3. Whitey

Whitey Member

I went from western and boss to blizzards about four years ago, they are super easy to put on and take off. as far as things to look for, look at the center where the cylinders for the wings mount I have had two that the welds broke loose. also if possible run the wings in and out to look for signs of binding. also easy fix but worth a look are the hoses ther are a lot of pinch

4. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I bought the plow it has a bad cutting edge and i need a wiring harness for truckside, but other then that it looks alright. Should i attempt a self-install or should i just pay the $450 and have the dealer do it? Is it tough?
    Also if you know of any good places to get blizzard parts listed above please let me know
    Thanks
    -Travis

5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You're gonna end up spending about $700.00 for a cutting edge and wings and wiring harness, plus headlight adapters unless it's a new Ford. What part of Michigan you in??

6. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

I would suggest finding a good welding/fabricating shop and see if they have the pattern for the cutting edge and you will save about $150 - $175 depending on your area. I would also suggest starting a relationship with a dealer and having them install the plow. If you are pretty handy though and have some knowledge, you certainly should be able to install it yourself.

7. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

There is a welding shop here in Grand Rapids that will probably be able to hook me up wiht he edge they are a blizzard dealer too. i am going to have the plow installed by another plowsite member tomorrow afternoon. i just hope the hydrolics all work...

Do you think an F350 will handle the plow ok stock or will i need to build up the front end some?

It's an 04 Powerstroke.

Thanks

8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I've got a 99 F350 Powerstroke ext. cab, and it handles it just fine. Not much weight on the rear end though. Likes to spin the tires without ballast or 4x4 mode.

9. deadogwalkin

deadogwalkin Member

I have mine on an F250 and F350 and we added leaf spring kits front and rear on both trucks. I think you would find the truck will perform better. We ballast also. Good Luck!

10. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

To bad you bought a blizzard. Watch for bent pins in angle rams, center pin metal fatigue, Make sure you have an updated wiring harness as old ones on newer model trucks are a problem due to lighter wiring on the truck side. O yeah have fun with the wings. good luck

11. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

lawnman, do you mind me asking how much you paid. I'm looking at one too around the same age and was wondering if it's a good price.