1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going to buy 2500hd (8100 and allison) any problems ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I'm going to order a 2500hd ext cab. 4x4. Just wanted to know if anybody heard of any problems with the 8100 series engine or the allison tranny?

I know alot of people don't like the reverse in the allison(granny gear) but i am not concerned with that.

Thanks

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My question is why go with the 8100 why not the duramax I have heard that engine is a reak gas guzzler.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Nah, it gets great mileage, there's a guy here getting almost 20 mpg in an avelanch w/ 8.1. My 5.3 on the other hand......... only about 16 or 17.

:D

4. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

Sorry, I find 20 mpg with the 8100 litre questionable. The people I know that have them are getting around 12-13. That is about the same as the 5.3 or 6 litre. I must say, that is great for the 8.1. I would however go with the DURAMAX. I have about 25000 miles on mine and it runs better everyday. 12-13 mpg pulling 7-9,000 lbs daily. On the open road, about 19.5-20. I dont know what the avelanche is geared at or what it weighs, but still questionable. 2500 h.d. Duramax ext. cab

Last edited: Mar 25, 2002
  5. Earthscapes

from WNY

thanks guys. I just don't want a duramax. I have a 454 in my truck right now and i average 8-10mpg, plowing i get 3-5.

i really didn't want an extended cab either but another little one is on the way.

6. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf Junior Member

Earthscapes, I am not sure I understand,, are you compaining about the fuel milage of the 454?? I also went from a '95 454 to the 2001 DURAMAX. Best thing I ever did. More power, More torque, MORE MILAGE. I drove the 454 about 185,000 miles(still have and use it) and got the same milage you are talking about--------8 to 10. Now like I said, 13-14 with a load. Cant beat it.. Go with the EXT cab. the new doors are great. plus all the extra room for the kids, clothes, brief case, ETC. Heck, last year in August I went to the Knoxville Nationals(sprint car indy 500) and slept in the thing. lots of room in that truck.. GOOD LUCK whatever you decide!!

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Earthscapes,the 8100 is a strong motor,you shouldnt have any problems at all.What gears are you ordering?i drove one with 4.10's,and in all honesty it didnt need them,at all,and with the allisons low reverse,it screamed going backwards.So if you are pulling in excess of 10000 lbs regularly,id get the 3.73's.As for the gas vs diesel,i like diesels,but that 8100 is a strong gasser,and a lot of guys just do not want a diesel,because fuel is hard to find,the pumps are alwasy messy,the 4K difference in price,or the increased care they require.

8. Earthscapes

from WNY

Heck no i am not complaining about the 454 gas mileage. It is pure power. When i'm not plowing or mowing i'm pulling a 26' haulmark with a racecar inside on the weekends. My 454 has 145000 miles on it and all i ever do is change the oil.

I ordered it with 3.73's and a locking diff. ,ext. 8ft bed, loaded of course and my much needed snowplow prep package.
    Gotta love the GM discount,thats the only reason i got married:)

After 11pm i can't buy diesel around here,but gas is open 24hrs.

9. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Last fall I bought a 2500 HD, ext cab short box, 6.0, auto, 4:10's. Truck plows just as good or better as my '99 with 454 & 4:10's. I looked at the 8100's w allison combo, with slow reverse etc. & cost decided against it. The 6.0 has more HP than the '99-454, & just slightly less torque. Just a thought.

10. Earthscapes

from WNY

Thanks Mike, but it's already on it's way. Buy any new lesco's this year ?