1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going Thru Cutting Edge Bolts Like Crazy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mark13, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

On my Western Unimount I have been going thru cutting edge bolts like they are going out of style. In the past 2 winters I'd break maybe 1 per winter. I've gone thru about a dozen of them so far this year and currently have 5 out of the 8 broke after plowing for 3hrs this morning. I'm using normal carriage bolts (same type of bolts from the first 2 years) and tightening them down with a dewalt 18v impact (about 300ft/lb). Any ideas?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Grade 5 or 8's?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mark - the bolts are not strong enough, and you are not getting the nuts tight enough. While DeWalt may advertise 300 ft/lbs, there's no way that thing is getting them tight enough.

Go to your local Western/Fisher dealer and get a set of the grade 5 bolts they supply. If you don't have a good air impact wrench, get a long breaker bar and crank them down.

GV - sounds like he's getting grade 2 at Home Depot or whereever

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Is a China made bolt.??????????????????????//

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I believe they are 5's. I've had no problems with them the first 2 years I had my plow, not this season I go thru 2-3 per storm. Or in my case today, 5 so far.

I'm going to try and find some grade 8 carriage bolts.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

They are plow bolts
    go to a tractor implement dealer (like a John Deere dealer), they'll have them (and they'll be cheap)
    and usually theirs are not chinese made. (hopefully) (I use grade 5 made in china bolts as rotary cutter shear bolts, they snap like nothing, way before the regular shear bolts do).

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

that impact may have a break away torque of 300 ft lbs but no way it will tighten them to that most are around 100-150 ft lb (tighten) like 2 cor said use a breaker bar. i think most plow carraige bolts are grade 5. are you using nylon lock nuts? maybe there vibrating loose and snapping.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'm wonder if he is not tighten enough and are working free ,then when he drops the plow it's starts to cut into them. Any pictures of these bolts?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think that's what happening. No need for Grade 8. Grade 5 is probably better anyway. they have a little more give than the Grade 8.

10. bo alps hunter

bo alps hunter Junior Member

Correct, may be square like a carriage bolts, but plow bolts are stronger, and the head will be flush with the cutting edge. Carriage bolts are for woodworking!

11. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

the bolts are not strong enough switch over to a standard grade 8 bolt and nylon locking nuts with washers on both sides u should be fine

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Grade 5 is plenty. If they are the same bolts you've always used they should work now. Take the cutting edge back off and clean where the edge goes and reinstall with all new bolts and lock nuts. Use your Dewalt then get a breaker bar and a small peice of pipe to tighten them. We like to use a mini sledge and hit the head of the bolt at the same time when we are tightening the bolts on our blades. Also bring the bar with you and stop and check them after 30 min.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dave's advice is right on. Wouldn't hurt to run a wire brush where the cutting edge sits, and along the back of the edge. That idea with the small sledge is great too.

Dave - do you put Fluid Film behind the edge?

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No but we do use the wire brush which I forgot to mention. Thanks. Sometimes on our larger blade we actually will put a tack of weld on the end of the cutting edge because if you catch a curb while back dragging it will break the end bolt off. Not sure if your doing that also Mark.

15. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

I had that problem last year with mine. I think I wasn't getting the bolts tight enough and also noticed that my old edge was bent.:laughing: What I do now is tighten them and put a little tack weld on the threads of the bolt after I tighten them. No problems yet. If ya need a hand let me know always willing to help.

16. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you need plow bolts, they are not the same as carrage bolts. tighten them as tight as you can you will not break them.

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What's the difference.

18. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

Hardened steel

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

You use plow bolts on these.

[​IMG]

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm still using the cheap carriage bolts, got out the pneumatic impact and tightened them down. Plowed about 10hr on them since and they were still tight.

I'm still thinking about taking a trip to the local plow dealer or local john deere dealer and getting stronger bolts. I'd rather not have my cutting edge fall off.:laughing: