1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going through solenoids on mm2 hd

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Treebunker, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Treebunker

Treebunker Junior Member

I have a mm2 about 13 years old, started having problems with the hydraulic motor relay solenoid last winter, replaced the solenoid Feb. 5 2015. Our first plowable snow of this season was just last week, and within 2 hours of running the truck solenoid had crapped out again. And they are failing in the open position so it makes the motor continue to run in whatever direction I was moving the plow. I have had the wiring harness re done and placed an extra in line fuse coming off the battery, why would I keep blowing these solenoids with such little use? Unless they are just junk from the factory.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What solenoids are you replacing with?
  3. Treebunker

Treebunker Junior Member

The brand is Snow Plow Parts, and they do have a fisher part#. Getting them from my local carquest parts store.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The bigger round ones?

What i would suggest is find out the amp capacity of it, then put an amp meter on it to see if your motor is within specs
  5. The Fisher solenoids are worth the few extra bucks. The tall skinny ones don't last. As stated above, you might want to do an amperage draw test.
  6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed spend the extra money for a fisher one.It probably costs you more money replacing the two then buying a fisher
  7. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

Spend a few more dollars and buy a Fisher 5794k-1,the aftermarket solenoids suck,I have replaced a ton that looked new,as others have suggested I would do an amp guage on it to check for draw.