1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going state wide

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

so iam still a junior in high school but in detroit theres no lake effect snow so i was wondering if ther wad any advice on puttijg another bussiness in anther city near lake michigan or huron, some advice would be great... and merry christmas
  2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Running a satellite branch remotely (and well) is enough of a challenge for mid to large size companies. Not to rain on your ambition, but unless you are moving to a lake effect area, you should look at diversifying what you do in Detroit first, and save the state-wide plan for after you graduate high school.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

WAY too much driving in bad weather.
    Unless you relocate to a different city
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

well i would have a manager at the other loacation, and i know this isint lawn site but what about having a lawn care bussiness in another city?
  5. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

In a city the size of Detroit you could have a multi million dollar business and tap the contact you have for their counterparts in the new city. If your business is under 50k you are going to have trouble supporting a single office let alone an multi city model.

Most branches are not profitable for the first year to 18 months.

If you hire a manager, how are you going to pay him or her. I am guessing they are going to want some sort of base to not just start their own thing.