1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going rate in MI for salt/lb using walk-behind spreader??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Sno ballz, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Sno ballz

Sno ballz Member

Hi guys,

What's the going rate per pound for applying salt using a walk-behind broadcast spreader? Cost is 6.2 cents/lb around here.

Thanks!

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I'm in Grand Rapids, Mi and I charge 20 cents a pound for any salt put in a broadcast spreader.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Snowballz
    How many pounds are you spreading? Is this a whole lot you are doing by hand or just a sidewalk? I have one sidewalk that I do and use 50# of Magic on it and charge $30.00 if I'm judt doing the sidewalk, if its the lot and sidewalk both I charge $15.00 for the sidewalk and $110.00 for the lot. I try to bid salting at $125.00 a ton. I ahve been under bid more than once but so far have kept most of my customer's.

Regards Mike

4. Sno ballz

Sno ballz Member

flykelley - Not a lot of salt, just say 200lbs (4-50lb bags) purchased from Home Depot. Thanks.

5. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Around Lansing you can buy bagged salt for 2.85/50# bag. That works out to be .05/#. $120/ton is .06/#. Most of my lots I get $65/trip for 300# of salt applied. That works out to be .21/# and $433.00/ton.

6. Sno ballz

Sno ballz Member

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I'm in the ballpark with .20/lb.

Thanks again.

7. roofsinc

roofsinc Junior Member

Im in MI, and I'm at .30 p/lb.

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Why would you use salt through a spreader on sidewalks???

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Runner, its a walk behind spreader for the 5 ft wide sidewalk that is at the Dr office, I would not want to spread 50 pounds of salt by hand for every event.

Regards Mike

10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Do yourself a favor. Find some Landscapers choice. Sodium just tears up the concrete, and most of all completely kills the grass (and anything else) along the edges of the walks. Grass won't regrow there until half the season is over before you can reseed it. Also, Landscapers Choice goes alot farther than salt because of it's properties. This stuff is just like FIRE on sidewalks and doesn't take much. It is more per bag, but don't that fool you. It goes a long ways, and like I said, it is environmentally safe for turf and landscape stock. It also provides a finer grit to walk on. I know we would NOVER use sodium on concrete walks...especially if there are steel doors - like at these offices. As a matter of fact, we have GOT jobs for that type of stuff. Check it out and look into some...you won't be disappointed. I hope this helps!

11. esshakim

esshakim Senior Member

.68/lb i pay

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

For what? Do you mean that is what you charge?

13. RSK

RSK Senior Member

I am in pa i charge .25lb
    there is a co. that lives by me that charges 1.00 lb :drinkup:

14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

We come in at around 20-22 cents per lb. for salt (bagged), and around 60 cents per lb. for the Landscaper's Choice around here.

15. gillgetter

gillgetter Junior Member

WMHLC, what does the intials stand for?

16. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

It stands for West Michigan Home and Lawn Care