1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going rate for commercial subcontractor in NY?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbone, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone Senior Member

So what are you guys averaging per hour subcontracting to do commercial lots? I jsut thought id ask around as I will be doing it this winter. Im new so please take that into consideration. Also this is just plowing no ice removal, one pick-uptruck. Thanks

2. shamp

shamp Member

Subs in my area get $40 to $60 an hr. for plowing with pickups with 7.5 to 8 foot plows.

3. jbone

jbone Senior Member

does it vary depending on experience? I havent plowed before. Im using a western 7.5 on a pickup. Thanks!

4. shamp

shamp Member

yep its going to very on experience.try and find a company that you can work with talk to who's in charge of the sub they may do a drive with you the first knight just ride with a experience driver to help get you familiar with how to move the snow. it takes time to learn the Trix and every storm will be a different animal. good luck:waving:

5. LB1234

LB1234 Member

When I used to sub myself out (this is going to be first year I don't) I was getting 75 per hour for my truck/plow. Actually last year he gave me 80 b/c of the gas prices. That was in monmouth county, NJ.

You really want to set something up so you can get a guaranteed call during a snow storm. In other words, if its 3" of snow or better you want to be assured you will get a call and receive a minimum amount of money/hours. Otherwise, he will only call you during the big storms, whenever something of his breaks, etc. He might have you only for two or three hours at a time...that'll barely cover your fuel and maintenance costs.