1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going out tonight

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by skinut2234, Feb 28, 2005.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Picking up the truck soon with new 7.5' power angle plow- Just starting to snow here in NJ- any tips for a first-timer?

2. rwink1957

rwink1957 Junior Member
    from 08021

This was my first year for plowing as well. Surveying the area prior to plowing and look for obsticles curbs etc. Go slow and constantly check behind you when backing up. I found myself geting fixated on the plow especially when back dragging.

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Just take it nice and easy. DOnt' try to beark any records. Watch your gauges, and get out and stretch every few hours. Also drink something besides coffe to keep hydrated.

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Good info,I drink only water when i'm out and eat little as possible.I do eat jerky for the protein.Also make sure you have all your proper papers just in case something bad happens..Enjoy yourself and tell us how it went.. payup

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Just be careful and take your time until you have a good feel for the truck...Watch out for everbody else on the road.

6. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

good advice- I just went out to give it a shot- Glad I spent the extra $$ on a power angle vs. the Snobear... in any case- I was playing in my driveway first- I back-dragged the snow away from the garage and then pushed across the street. Do I want to leave the blade in the "float" position all the time when pushing straight??? Or do I need to raise it a bit- when I leave all the way down-its a loud scraping noise- Is that what I want to do??? Don't want to kill the driveway

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

[QUOTE- I back-dragged the snow away from the garage and then pushed across the street.QUOTE]=
    thats a nono :nono:

8. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Mike- why is that a no-no?? there is nothing across from the house but woods and I see guys doing it a lot- Where should I be pushing it?

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You are not allowed to push snow across the street its against the law..some places are strict on this policy.

10. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

ahhh- good info - thanks for the heads up...
    Where is the best place to push it if you can't push up toward house?

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I had a problem here (jealous people)with pushing it across the street. It wasnt in anybodys way or blocking any property driveway nada, just someone mad cause they had to shovel.He said i was pushing the snow against his fence, i asked can he show me and he said just dont do it also he said he had to fix it the last storm because it was bent. I said can you show me the foot prints in the fresh snow where you walked,cause i dont. I plowed half the street up and down for free just so people can park better, well he made this my last time a month ago. :gunsfiring:.Just try to put it at the corners of the end of your driveway.