1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going out on my own!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by powerstroke08, Mar 7, 2010.

1. powerstroke08

powerstroke08 Junior Member

Hi all just wanted to say hi

i hope to be going out on my own next year after 3 seasons of plowing for someone else i really want to start up my own thing. I have read hundreds of threads full of great info.

I'm 18 i have saved almost all my income from the last 3 seasons for a truck and a western plow! I plan on going and trying to get contracts starting in July! I'm not going for anything big just like churches and other small commercial lots! I have access to a Case 1845 so if i could come up with money i could get a used plow or push box for it and go for something a bit bigger for a lot . I already have a western tail gate salter i got from someone when they quit plowing.

I know it sounds like im out of my mind about this but this is what i want to do and have sense i got into plowing 3 years ago. Any advise you would like to give me would be appreciated

Sorry for the long post

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

Welcome! You have high expectations for a 18 year old I wish you the best of luck! where in Minnesota are you?
  3. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

From one Tim to another good luck bud !!!
  4. powerstroke08

Thanks im in rogers
  5. powerstroke08

Thank You!
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Don't do it! That's the best advice I could give you. You're not ready to go on your own. keep plowing for whoever you're plowing for now if you're happy there. If you're able to save up money, just keep saving. Keep learning the business. IMO 18 is to young to dive right in, it's a completely different ball game when you are responsible for every aspect of the business.
  7. packman1973

packman1973 Junior Member

i like your enthusiasm but i agree with wipensfan. save more money and do it right.you really need more than one truck and the insurance could ruin you. keep up the good work and work hard and it will happen!!!!! good luck man

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Your issue would be insurance. With your age it may be very difficult. I would think gettin insurance on your truck would be hard.

You sound like a go getter... I would get onboard with someone who needs a sub in the sidewalk area... Get a deal where you get paid by the job if you can. Someone elses insurance can then cover you on the laibility.

Maybe an atv? run a skid.
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Becareful! I hear there's monsters at the end of the slide,

But seroisly sounds like you've done a good job KUDOS to you, so good luck
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Good Luck and welcome to PS
  11. Ranger620

Ranger620 PlowSite Veteran

Good luck. I live in your area, its not easy out there. Starting a new business today would scare me.
  12. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Do it. Don't let people tell you shouldn't because of your age. Will you **** up. Sure you will. We all have, or will. You only need one truck. There will be break downs. If you have a will or passion it will get done. Once you think you need more than one of something being solo you end up with driveway that looks like a junk yard. Best of luck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  13. WIPensFan

You shouldn't do it because of your age!!
  14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Keep subbing or plowing in somebody elses truck for a few more years. I wouldn't try to get too big too fast. I had about 20 driveways at 18 years old and that was plenty for me. The insurance is going to be very expensive at your age. I also don't think you have enough life experience at 18 to try too big of a venture when it comes to commercial work. I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to plow my shopping complex.. Sometimes I felt that people weren't taking me seriously at 18 and that's understandable.

It doesn't mean that you can't do it though.
  15. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

Yeah, I am 18 almost 19 and I am doing a few driveways right now and thinking about starting to go more hardcore into snow removal next year. More drives and maybe a small commercial

but yeah i do get the point of people not trusting me at my age, but i do very good quaility work, probably get told on here that i spend to much time on driveways and shoveling but my customers are very happy with me. It does suck that it is hard to start young, but that is just because all those stupid young adults that don't do good quality work or don't know how to work at all!!!

I am also in MN, and good luck if you end up starting your own business, maybe i will have to talk to you more sometime!
  16. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Do it. Age is just a number. Its better to learn and risk now at a young age, just think wisely. Have a good plan and back up plan. Team up with someone or ask a larger contractor to mentor you and see if they can provide back up in the event of a break down. Takes a lot of courage and ambition at your age and you will be sucessful if you do qualty work and treat people right.
  17. WIPensFan

That's the kind of advice SIMA members put out!? "Its better to learn and risk now at a young age". This type of failure could ruin credit and reputation at a young age, not smart. "
    just think wisely"
    . Being 18 and thinking wisely :laughing:. "Team up with someone or ask a larger contractor to mentor you and see if they can provide back up in the event of a break down". Unless this is a family member or close friend it ain't happening. Not only that but it defeats the purpose of being "on your own".
  18. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Failure is a bit presumptuous isnt it? What if he suceeds? Maybe I should have waited and would be still working for someone. Or maybe a lot of guys on here like him and me started young and have very sucessful businesses because we didnt get discouraged by guys like you. Simply put, he has to be smart about it.
  19. WIPensFan

Times are different now. Waaayyy to many people plowing. It doesn't make sense to give up a good job that he's making money at and learning a profession he may want to pursue further, to start a business that is over saturated as it is. It makes more sense to learn through his employer and let them take the risks.
  20. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

im also 18 i gotmyfirst commercial when i was 16 by word of mouth, you can do anything just stay positve. remember keep your clients happy and one day you will have enough work for a couple trucks and bob cats. starting young is wise in my eyes as long as you have perents, friends, family and ect to keep you going and on your side!