1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going out multiple times during a storm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rvincent, Feb 24, 2007.

1. rvincent

rvincent Junior Member

I know this was discussed before, but i could not find the thread.

I do all res properties. The storm from last night is just finishing up and will leave us with about 5or so inches. This afternoon we are supposed to get a break and then the snow is supposed to start again tonight and go though tomorrow afternnoon leaving us with another 5-10in. In this case, would you guys go out now and tomorrow like Im going to, or wait until its all over? Ide rather come to much than not enough, but I have dealing with people being mad either way. Also, ide rather push 5in twice than 10in at once.

thanks for the input.

ryan

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You are dealing with people wanting to get on with there lives, they are not going to want to put it on hold waiting for you to plow them out. Remember we (plowers of residential driveways) do not want the customer to become used to there driveway being usable with 3" of snow on it. I want my customer to panic and hire me to get the snow off.payup
    Also remember many of your customers drive vehicles that really are not good in the snow.

3. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

It depends on your customers. I have some that don't want more than 2 inches and some that want me to wait to the end of the 5 inch snow fall. I won't wait and push 10 inches at once. Harder on the vehicle and my attitude.:waving: Most people don't want to drive through 8 inches to get to the mall:dizzy: . Remember, when nasty storms come, people decide they need to shop or something:nono: . Good luck and have fun.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you will be better off plowing with a storm. when snow is above 3" your plowing times increase, and 10" takes 3 times as long to plow. if it doesn't start snowing till say 9pm you can let it build up to 6" before plowing because everyone is asleep -just make sure your done by 7am.

With the 21" storm we just had I went 3 times in 24 hours. started at 2am plowing 5", finished at 9am and started the route again plowing another 5", got home at 5pm and had a shower and some dinner and went back out at midnight and cleaned everything up pushing between 5-10" (drifting), got home at 7am.

The only complaint I got was from an elderly couple who didn't think I had been there at noon for the second trip (I elected not to shovel the walkway on that trip since I knew they wouldn't be going anywhere, but since I didn't they couldn't see their driveway from the window they thought I had only been there at night)

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I feel Grn's pain there -- if people didn't see it, it's sometimes hard to convince them we came! That's when trust comes into play.

Set it up with your accounts that you'll be plowing with a storm, trying best not to let more than 4-5" accumulate for their own best interest as well as your equipment. It's not unreasonable to go back more than once. Have a set rate for depths of accumulation, though, and use a single spot for measuring (don't play the game with people, "Well it only snowed 5" here and I'm being charged for 6"). You're their contractor for a reason -- you have a good rapport, you're trustworthy, and you've been referred by others who have had excellent service. There will be people who piss & moan, and as you increase the clientelle, you can drop folks you wish not to deal with anymore. I haven't had to do much of that in recent years, as I find it worthwhile to educate clients with the way of the world.

Good luck!!

~Kevin

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

When everything is said and done with this storm that suppose to end on sunday night monday morning, I will have plowed 3 times. I do the same area as you.

7. GFX

GFX Member

Went out last night at midnight till 10 or so this morning. We're planing to start up again at 4am Sunday for a full plow. Then will be out Sunday night for a clean up for Monday morning. If we get the 3-4" on Monday we'll be pushing lanes and then be back out again Monday night for a full clean up. payup payup payup

8. rvincent

rvincent Junior Member

well I finished everyone up today. I told everyone I would be out tomorrow morning to afternoon, and everyone was ok with it. thanks for the advice guys. I got plenty of pics from the last few snow falls i will be posting whenever i find time.