1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going it alone next year

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowinjoe, Jan 6, 2005.

1. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

This is my second year plowing and doing the whole landscaping thing. I'd like to go out on my own. In the small town where I live now(4000people) the snow removal is pretty well covered. There's 4 companies that do pretty much all the plowing. There is also three small guys doing driveways and a few commercials. In the 10 years I've been here 2 low-ballers have come and the last one is just about done. I know there is no room for me here. Subbing for the boss is not an option as his equipment is bought and mostly paid for. A move back home(Hamilton pop. 500000) is probably my best bet. This is also what the wife wants, so it seems the likely option. I have a86 Bronco2 4*4 auto. I've found some 7ft blades for 3-4 hundred. I'll buy a used blower for res. and away I go. I will definitely miss the snow we get here but a little bit of plowing is better then no plowing. So for the next year I'll be utilizing anyones brain I can. Thanking you in advance.

2. Rainman

Rainman Junior Member

Don't feel so down and out. Here in Welland we've only had 2 plowable events.I only have two small accounts which bring in $125 per push. We never seem to get any significant snow until the middle of January. Hamilton usually gets quite a bit more than we do here in the Niagara Region. You should do well there. Hope things work out for you!
  3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I've thought of this before too.... I'd be interested in how you do. Where I live, its much like your situation. TONS of SNOW...but TONS of plowers also. From BIG guys to the little guys like me. BIG guys are the ones plowing out the commercial lots. Because they have the major equipment (loaders, graders, etc) The small guys like me are the ones doing $15 driveways. Not only that, but everyone either has a 4x4 here, or they "know the snow"...and don't think that 3" sitting in their driveway is much at all.

But, take what I've learned here, what I know from experience, and existing truck/insurance/references....and move to an area where there are fewer events & more people, less snow-education and most importantly *higher incomes* and suddenly you are serving a need to people who aren't accustomed to "snow days" or the 1 foot burm at the end of their driveway.

Maybe... Of course the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, too.

Keep us in the loop

4. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Joe, think I asked you this in another thread, but whereabouts are you? I am in Newmarket and looking to get into landscaping or deck/fence stuff in the summer and some plowing in the winter. I currently work at a desk job that pays really well but the corporate scene is not where I want to be going forward. Ultimately I'd like to build custom homes but that's a long way off. If you don't take the first step as they say there is no chance of getting to the finish line. I'd like to hear some of your experiences trying to get established (both with plowing and the landscaping). I think you should keep at it, knowing that if you want it bad enough you'll find a way to make it work. Stay in touch as someone else said.

Cheers, GL. :)
  5. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Now if I could only get the family to see it that way. They want me to move home and get a Factory job. Been there done that. Union shops and me don't work because I hate being paid the same as the laziest person there. Non union and then the wage generally isn't as high. When you work for someone else your life is in their hands. On a whim or of no fault of your own you could be out of a job. I'd rather have control and answer to my self only. I'll stay in touch and update my progress. Thanks again.