1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going into an interview to work as a subcontractor... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowOrDie, Dec 15, 2009.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

I have never worked as a sub. I am just wondering what I should expect to be asked from this large landscaping company in my area who called me back and told me to come in for an interview. I did a preliminary over the phone interview and gave them some brief information about myself and my experience, and they said they possibly would call me back after they talked to the other 50 or so people who replied to their ad and gather everyones information. I Guess they liked what they heard and decided to call me back to come in for a face to face interview?

what should I expect? are they going to check me out and see how cute I am? are they going to quiz me on my knowledge? I am confused? any words of wisdom from anyone who has been in my position, or who has hired someone in my position?

thanks guys.. :waving:

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Probably get a good feel for your experience and see your equipment in person to make sure you take care of your stuff and won't be breaking down all the time.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your lipstick is not smeared !

Have a list of places you plowed before with phone numbers just in case. Have an idea on what you want to make. They will throw you number and go from there.
    Remember the first to speaks looses.

4. Deco

Deco Senior Member

expect to be chiseled down to a rate that was unacceptable to 50 others in the last 3 months . beware and hold your ground . if they ask to grab your ankles , run .

You , as a sub are an entity all your own . YOU are also interviewing them . If you dont get the gig ....you never HAD it

5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

:laughing: Good advice for any situation!

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Be yourself and show you are responsible and have good equipment. Don't act like a big shot, brag or boast on how much better you are than others...keep it about you, your history, your strengths and what you offer.

I follow my gut when choosing who I want to team up with.....not necessarily who is going to be cheaper. You never really know how a sub will turn out unless they're given an opportunity.

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

What company is it?

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

does it really matter . last i checked all them dead presidents weren't smiling .:laughing:

9. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

You have to get them first.

I had 1 guy use me as a sub & not want to pay. When I was subbing for someone else later thet same year & told them I had worked for XYZ, they said good luck getting paid. He was right, it took some time to get paid. I ended up dropping off a bill at his house, he didn't think I knew where he lived.

10. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I was curious about the company. I know of a lot of bigger companies around here that are notorious for stiffing people. what the heck does your post have to do with anything?:dizzy:

11. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks for the comments guys... all were taken into consideration...

i landed the job with these guys... they are a pretty large company in my area (akron area) and they are very a reputable company so I am sure I will get paid. 60 an hour is what we agreed on. I pay for my own gas, and 300k commerc gen liab insurance .... 1099 end of year... they pay every 2 weeks and they claim they will get me a minimum 9 hour route per every 3 inches of snow ... does that sound legit? they say sometimes if guys really want to work , they can work as many hours straight as they would like and its not uncommon for guys to work 2 days straight? (thats amazing, so they actually have guys who send in their time logs with 48 hours of work in 2 days? - thats how much @ 60 an hour?? 2880$???) have you guys ever heard of such a thing?

now all i need is the f^^^in snow!!! 60 an hour dont mean sh^t until i see snowflakes accumulating on the ground...

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you ask what type of timesheet they want you to use? If they have one of their own get a couple of them and do a sample copy so they can't try and stiff you.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Not to me.

Are you doing apartment plowing for your final 4 hours? Designing a response plan to take 9 hours on a 3" snow does not make for happy clients.

14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Originally Posted by MahonLawnCare
    What company is it?

this does not matter

15. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

lol ok guy..thanks for your .02!

16. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

48 hours after the storm might be a stretch. Think about a customer needing to be cleared 48 hours after it is done. Second every other sub is wanting extra work too, so If you fall behind your 9 hour route might get shortened.

Rates are what they are. Follow their paper work to a T. Cross every T the way they ask dot every i they way they want it. Have records of your times and a way to prove when you submitted invoices. Drop by with your first invoice to make sure it is how they want and need it.

I have subs who have worked for me for 5 years who will tell you It is the best thing since sliced bread. I also have subs who will tell you I am the biggest ***** out there.

All depends on how they do what they do.

Lastly, Understand they are running a professional business. Do the same. If you need help, let them know, Too often I have subs try to blow smoke and not admit they do not have all their equipment out. It is a little too obvious, not to see it. Too often subs think no one sees through their BS.

17. SNOMACHINE

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

I sub out to 4 guys at the present time. I give them all logs for each property. It makes it easier for the sub if he's at a large site. I treat my subs just the same as my employees and i make it well known what our standards are and what we exspect out of them. Before the season i go to each sub to look over their equipment. And i have 2 of them bring there trucks to us so either me or our mechanic prep the equipment for winter free of charge cause there equipment is representing our company name at the locations they plow for us. Good luck.

18. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I read this as, if the storm last they can stay out and plow untill they get tired. Thats how my guy does it. I always have a good 9 hour route, but if the storm keeps coming or he has more work he will let me stay untill i am ready to go.

19. Deco

Deco Senior Member

good man ......................