1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going from diesel back to gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maklandscape, Mar 11, 2011.

1. maklandscape

maklandscape Junior Member
    from mass

just curios if anyone has gone from diesel to a gasser. i made the switch in 06 from the 6.0 to the duramax and was going to buy a new diesel this year but i dont want to pay an extra eight grand to have problems with def and pay 50 more per gallon. i have 50k on mine now and i think i am going to keep it another couple years while they work the kinks out i plow quite a bit and haul around 12000 in the summer so the power of the diesel is huge but my fuel economy sucks. lucky to get 10 mpg in winter not plowing. plowing if i see 6mpgs thats good my buddy gets that with his v 10. starting to think that the extra eight grand isnt worth it any more. these trucks cost half as much as my first house i bought five years ago.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You only see 6mpg plowing and 10 not plowing out of the Dmax?? Something doesn't seem right. I can hammer on the throttle on mine and see 12MPG all day long, this last tank i've been a little more aware of my driving and already have the truck up to 16MPG (hand calculated).

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It takes about 200,000mi to even out the up front cost and the premium price of fuel for a diesel

4. maklandscape

from mass

i will say that while pricing news trucks i saw a huge difference in tradein value my diesel is worth six grand more than a gasser on trade now at five years old. just seems like until they figure this def thing out its not worth it. i have three friends who have them and the have all had the def issues more than once.

5. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Agreed, if you are a high milege guy or haul heavy stuff all the time then the diesel is worth the premium. Our truck only average 10k per year so we dont buy the diesels for that reason. The few we have run great but they will out last the trucks they are in by 10 years.

6. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

I was at a dealership getting a truck repaired, stopped at a corvette and looked it over, sales man comes by and says I should get one. I asked him if it comes with a tow package, he looked concerned. i told him the corvette is cheaper than a new truck anymore.

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If I buy another I wont buy another diesel It is not worth paying the extra money and paying highter fuel costs and I in no way no how want to deal with def.

8. maklandscape

from mass

driving a gasser after a diesel is a big adjustment. just test drove one and its a big differences in power..

9. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I changed from diesel to gas last year, for us it's not worth it the truck see's 12-14k a year max. The 6.0 gas pulls our loaded trailers no problem, it maybe alittle slower off the line but gets the job done every day. I still have 2 diesels but once they go I'll get another gaser, maybe if you do alot of miles per year or tow were it's very hilly then it would be worth it, but I don't have either.

10. santaclause

santaclause Member

what problems with the DEF trucks are people having?

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

07 dmax and thinkin of trading in for a gasser..test drove a 6.0 gm and a 6.2 ford...big diff from the diesel, but i will get a gasser if i decide to trade in. If u tow heavy loads all the time and can swing the diesel go for it..if not the gasser will be fine.

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Having to add it every oil change is enough for me not to deal with it.

13. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Yupp i used to drive my big diesel toy truck around all the time but NO not anymore! And from the looks of it...Its gonna be sittin in the yard all summer! $5 Bucks a gallon!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 13Miles to the gallon....i dont think so!

14. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Other than brad96z28 said about filling it, some HD's have been having issues where the tank will be full, but the computer reads that it is empty or near empty. It then usually involves draining the tank, and re-programming the computer.

15. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

To the OP, if you are runnign the 06 LBZ then why trade it in? You have the best engine/tranny combo that was pre-emissions. There is no way the truck is wore out, my ECSB has 110k on it now and has had minimal work done to it. My plan when i bought my 2 trucks was to own/drive them for at least 10yrs. They both get at least 10mpg when plowing, at least 16-19mpg empty around town and at least 20mpg and more on trips. Do you keep the fuel filters changed regulary? When was the last time you replaced the air filter? Do not go by that stupid indicator either, they do not read properly IMO. I always replace the air filter every spring after the salt is off the roads. Just because the filter looks clean does not mean it is not plugged with road salt.

16. maklandscape

from mass

i have three friends who have all had def problems. one has been bck to the dealer 4 times. i ussaually by a truck at the same time my buddy does and this time i decided to wait because they didnt have on in stock that i wanted. im glad i did literally everyone i know with a 2011 diesel has had def problems that warrent a trip or two back to the dealer. the def slushes up in the tank and makes the gauge malfunction. next one is going to be a gasser. i will still have the diesel one ton dump. my 06 2500hd has 47k on it and my 06 350 dump only has 23k but thats always towing or plowing. if fuel keeps going up the trade in values of both diesels and gassers is going to tank just like it did a few years ago. thats why im contimplating the trade now.

17. maklandscape

from mass

wood chuck 2 i have 47k on mine and have changed the fuel filter at least five times. air filter has one change planning on doing it again soon. i agree that filter meter is useless