1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

going down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rdavies, Oct 22, 2002.

1. rdavies

rdavies Junior Member

I use a western snow blade and its an old one...I just got it last year.And I have been doing snow removal the last past 5 years with 2 snow blowers and one other guy...some residental and some commercial...I took the blade off last year and let it sit all summer...got the truck all ready this year..put the blade on...it works great ..left right..and coming up....but when I let it down...shes very slow to go down....it will ....just very-- slow.....any help here guys....signed the Handy man...Red Oak ..south west Iowa.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have you tried changing the fluid and flushing the hydraulic system?

BTW, rdavies, welcome to PlowSite. I'm originally from Stanton. Grew up there and left for the Army.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Hi fellas, I'm originally from Lenox in southwest Iowa, small world huh. You probably need to do a little adjusting of the cables. I had the same problem last year but i dont remember which one it was.
    Just make small adjustments at a time.
    Good luck,
    Mark K

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I agree with speedracer, the cables probably need adjustment. The lift cable is the one that goes into that 5 sided housing. You can pull the cover and have someone work your cables, watch to see if it's going through the full radius of its swing. You can pop off the cable and operate the valve manually to see if this speeds up the drop.

I used to have a 1980 Western, and had recurring problems of water in the pump, and in the up/down valve housing. It would freeze and the valve would be inoperative. I sealed the O-rings on the cable shafts with Permatex, and then packed the valve housing with axle grease to seal out the water.

Those little allen screws that hold the cables in place always rusted enough so the key wouldn't work, resulting in drilling them out. I fixed this with new screws and then filled the holes with Permatex, which prevented rust.

Just a couple tips to make your life easier.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Western adjustment

:rolleyes: rdavies if you have a cable controlled Western and are still are having trouble with your plow you can adjust the lowering valve on the rear of the power unit. You will need a 15/16 wrench and and allen wrench, just carefully loosen the jam nut while holding the valve with the allen wrench (only loosen, there is an o'ring behind the nut that the nut retains, and you do not want to remove the hex insert from the valve either) Turn the "whole valve in very little", and tighten the jam nut and give your unit a try. You do not want to adjust this very much or the plow will slam the ground and you could have problems lifting. Welcome to Plowsite. John