1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going door to door?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Jan 14, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

:help: Does anyone have advice for going door to door at people's homes after the snow has already accumulated and is ripe for removal ( with a snow thrower )? I'm trying to just get started this season and am wondering if maybe I have a partner knocking on doors while I blow if u experienced guys think we'd be sucessful or at least bring in 2-3 houses/hour this way ( in heavy snow of course )? Is $20-30 per drive a fair rate for an avg driveway? And finally, anyone have tips for staying warm? Is it safe to be out in sub 30 or 20 deg tempts for 3-4 hour periods at a time? Thank u to anyone with advice :blush2:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOL, You can stay out in -30f forever if you are dressed properly.

3. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

re-tempts

Thanks Sno Farmer! Somewhere I'd got it in my head that breathing freezing air isn't good for the lungs. I guess if the eskimos and the Russians do it, then we must be able to as well. :))

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

lol, You see people still running for their health around here even when the temps are below 0.

It's not about staying warm as you will be working running a snow blower.
    It's staying half way dry from all of the sweat.

Get some good underwear that will wick away the moisture. Then a layer of fleece covered with some gortex wind breaker and good gloves and a hat.
    layers.

If you plan on offering your service to your neighbors it might be a good idea to let them know before it snows that you are available.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  5. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

thanks!

That info was very informative and appreciated Snow farmer! Well I'm on my way to church so I better hurry! Don't wanna be too late! Have a blessed day!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

oldschoo, be advised that if you have a lung condition, such as brochitis, you need to take extra precautions when working in cold air.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Best thing I found with a snowblower is a motorcycle rain suit. (snowmobile suit would probably work too, but I wasn't into snowmobiles. :) )
    You layer up to be warm and then you put on the rain suit.
    it's all double and triple seamed and so forth and you just go.
    You end up looking like a snowman after 8 to 12 hours of it, but you are warm and toasty inside, becuase none of the water got in.
    Worked for me.

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

If your on your way to church,,, TALK TALK TALK,,,, Let everyone know that your in the Biz,,,and give a small discount to those that refer you to another account. Maybe put up a flyer at church, and your local grocery store. If you average drive is say 2 car wide and 40 to 50 ft long,,, Most would charge $25 to plow it. and thats with no sidewalks!
    So if your blowing drive, side walk and clearing away steps area,, i would say $30 or 35.
    Can you do that amount of drive and walk in 1/2 hour???
    If so Great, now your doing about $60Hr. Now just hope for some 5 to 6 inch events. and go make some payup

If you know an event is coming,,, start going door to door in your neighborhood and poping flyers in peoples doors,,,with the price written on there," Hi Im so and so and I'd like to blow your drive for $XX."

9. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

If and I stress....IF.....it does snow and you start pounding on doors to clear driveways...and you look older than say 14 or 15 years old....chances are they will not answer the door in most areas.

Just a thought. :eek:

10. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

lung condition

Well I thank God that I don't have any condition such as that. :redbounce

11. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Oh, ok that's a nice idea for staying warm. I've got a Sky Coat that is like Columbia ( one of those $200 coats). It's dual layered; like 2 coats in one. I plan on getting some thermal underwear too. Thanks for the ideas!

12. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Heh, this is some great stuff here! I wish I woulda heard it before services. But maybe next Sunday. I'm actually figuring on traveling to Grand Rapids Mi or Minn this year cause Indianapolis skipped winter this year ( no snow at all )! $60/hr would be awesome! If I could maintain that rate going door to door I could have the blower paid off in 1 day of 8-10 hours! Praise God! Thank u for this advice Dogbonz!

13. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Well my girlfriend is like 18 but could pass for 15. I'm like 24 but have a little beard so I may look too old. But she's kinda short and appears more harmless than I. What do u say I have her knock? :)

14. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Quote: maybe I have a partner knocking on doors while I blow

Personally I would let my "Partner do the blowing HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" payup

15. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Maybe if I get lucky:nod:

16. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Definately layaer, light layers. And when you start to get hot, take one later off at a time and give yourself a few minutes for you body to acclimate accordingly before taking more layers off.

As for door to door. Personally, I would go out the day before a significant snow storm was coming in. Let them know you will be out when it snows, and for a fee of $xx you'd be happy to clear their driveway for them. If they say no thanks, ask if you can leave your number in case they change their minds. Get some cards made up. Nothing fancy, just the facts.

If you price accordingly you should be able to get a half dozen or more within only a few blocks. Therefore you should be able to get 4-8 done within an hour defending on close they are and their sizes.

Good luck.

17. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Could I really get that many done in an hour? 4-8? I'm planning on getting a 2 stage blower to start. I know it's not the best, it's a Craftsman 5.5 hp I think. It's like $550. Or were u saying 4-8 per hour with a plow?

18. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Depending on whats invloved. Open driveway 15x30 with 50-75' of sidewalk, sure you can get that much done. Key thing to remember, is as close as possible to one another. If it takes 8 mins to clear this drive and walkway, but it takes 4 mins to load and unload then your cutting your production rate in half. If you only have to unload once and you can walk from one hose to the other in less than 3 mins you'll be on target.

Get the work before it snows though, so when its time to go work, its all business. The sooner you get done the sooner you can start picking up more work, by going door to door.

Try to keep the proerties as close together as you can. Cant say it enough, thats the key to success at your stage. Might even mean dropping your price a few bucks. Think Quantity. but your work should be quality. dont skimp, do it right. Referrals are a huge benefit.

19. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Oh, yeah, I plan on charging whatever I have to keep in biz. As long as I'm at least going to make like $20-25/hr. With traveling expenses, gas, ( $ to my girlfriend for helping ), ect, that would be as low as I'd go. I think I will print out some sort of cards or flyers to give out. Hopefully people will call my cell phone or motel room I'll be staying at. As I've said b4, I'm going outta town where it snows cause Indianapolis is having fall for it's winter ( no snow ). :yow!:

20. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Oh, and thanks Pericut! You're words mean a lot! I'm a hard worker, hoping my toughness and hustle will get me paid more that asking "how would u like your steak cooked?" or "is any body ready to order?":D