1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going deaf driving my 09!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Drottlawn, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, to make a long story short, my truck is doing something I have never happened before. It will make like a gunshot noise in the cab. It literally sounds like a .22 going off next to my head. It is very random. It has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Once while out plowing, but at a complete stop and other 2 times were driving home up my street. The only thing in common with all occurrences is it was either slow speed or stopped. The plowing time was heard by my employee. the last 2 by me. There is a smell instantly after it happens for a short period. It pretty much smells like the air in your tires. Sorry, this is the best way to describe it.

Anyone heard of such of a thing? or have any ideas? I am going to take it to Ford, but I know what they will say. "Sorry, cant find anything wrong with it!" or "It must be something with your plow" I just know it. It is going no matter what, just so it is documented in their system. I thought I would see if anyone knew anything.

By the way, the truck has only 14000 miles on it. It did start after I installed the blade myself. I did go back through everything on it and everything is just fine. So i know it is a ford thing and not mine. And lastly, everything works on the truck, no gremlins, and no service lights.
  2. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Do you have strobes? If so, it could be a short or moisture. Mine did that in my old Dodge. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. The ground had developed corrosion on it and was very loud when it would pop. Hope this helps.
  3. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Check your grounds,battery and chassis.
  4. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

No strobes on truck. I know the sound your talking about, my old truck had that problem. This is much louder than that.

I was thinking something electrical, but it is awfully loud for a arcing sound.:confused:
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

is this coming from the motor or something alse
  6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

It sounds like in the cab. A better way of putting the sound is like driving next to a semi when the tire explodes. Scares the ?hit out of you!
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you had it looked at by the dealer or anyone?
  8. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

You could have a bad spot or seam weld that pops when it moves.

JRKRACE Senior Member

I get the same noise when I eat at Taco Bell...Same loud bang but the smell is different.....