1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going back to Syn line for plowing

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by My07Brute, Jan 17, 2013.

1. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Long story short in the second season of plowing I snapped the syn. line that came with my winch (too much angle for a Alum. hawse all season, it abraded the line over time, no nicks, etc. on the hawse either).

Did some searching and found out thats its a common problem and most go with a strap. I upgraded to a roller fairlead and 1" ATV tow strap and have had no issues.

But now I have a trailer and use the winch as a safety tie down on the trailer (Still use 2 ratchet straps too, 1 front, 1 rear) and worry about the strap spinning on the drum as I just used tape.

I am going to try Syn. line with a roller fairlead for a bit, this way I can still use the winch to pull with out worrying about the line slipping on the drum.

Picked up a 12' length for $20 shipped from here using the make offer option of $14.85
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230834811086?item=230834811086&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

The roller fairlead should eliminate the unwanted friction while lifting the plow, I will keep you all updated.

2. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

It won't... even if it's the larger roller fairlead that Warn sells. Synthetic rope is not made to plow with, unless maybe a really large size is used and then it would just take longer to wear out. The strap is the best method and it won't slip on the drum if done properly. I have mine duct taped to start and then a few wraps around the drum. My winch is a Warn RT35 and if I raise the plow all the way til it hits the frame, it will kill the winch before the strap comes off the drum.

3. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Well, that sucks.

Worst case I try this, looks like it will eliminate all sharp pull angles.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KFI-ATV-SNO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0ff10d14&vxp=mtr

4. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

Give it a shot, see what happens. But from my experience they don't last long. The synthetic I was using actually started to flatten out then fail.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You'll be back on here complaining that the rope broke. Just get a 2" wide heavy duty ratchet strap from Walmart and cut a piece to the right length.

6. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have used the synthetic rope for years with no problems. But I attach it to the winch drum so 4 lines are coming off the drum. No modifications to the drum and no tape. I have mentioned it on here before.

7. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

4 seperate lines? Why both with such a mess when you can cut a 6' piece of tow strap and be done with it.

8. My07Brute

My07Brute Senior Member

Well...it does not work well with the roller fairlead....the rope is too slick and so it the roller so it does not even spin the roller (roller spins freely, not seized)....just drags across it....back to the strap it is lol.

9. kkchevy3

kkchevy3 Junior Member

been using the synthetic for 4 years now and i do 5 driveways. When the line breaks (which is usually from me not paying attention winching in) i just let a little line out and tie a new knot. not that big of a deal guys lol

10. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming