1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going back and forth on a bid..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 4, 2006.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A new bank opened up and this is their first year for taking bids at this branch. So I give them a seasonal bid, which they wanted shoveling and calcium on the walkway.The whole place is curbed in. Today I get the "call" someone else higher up say the bid seemed high and wants me to re-look at it. I called back and gave them a new price without shoveling the sidewalk along the street.I told him it will cost X each time now for the sidewalk,now they are checking with the town if they have to keep it clear even though the town runs the sidewalk plow along there. What that's Latin phrase "quid quo pro" or something like that.

2. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Yeah the saying is "quid pro quo" If they are giving you this much greif already then just wait until the snow starts to fly.

3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

This is where I would feel this customer is going to be more trouble that they're worth. If they're new to the area they may not know the going rate for snow removal out by you. If I were in your shoes I would try to explain the addage "You get what you pay for". Try to boast about how well established you are in the biz and how reliable and presentable your equipment is. also, don't forget to let them know you are insured. All that costs money. Finish by saying "If you want some junky rusted out pick up truck to do a half-assed job pushing snow while leaking oil all over the place and potentially breaking down alltogether on your lot than go for it. That very same truck will also probably not carry liability insurance. God forbid someone slips and falls due to their negligence. The first person they will sue is you (the bank)." Put the ball in their court and wait & see what happens.

4. grandview

I was to late to edit my post but they have other branches in the area. They are trying to base it on the other bids. I figured they tried to get the same company to bid this one to. The other 2 are close to each other so they probably got the package deal for them and it would take about 1hr to get to the 3rd. so they need another bid.
    If I don't get this year I'll get it next at a higher amount!

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Ask yourself this???

When you go to look for a new plow, truck, or anything else, don't you shop around, try to bargain, make sure you are getting the best price? I sure do. I never understand why contractors then complain when customers are lookig for the best price.

This customer would make me feel comfortable, they are looking carefully at the contract, making sure all the bases are covered and that they are getting a good price. Go visit the person at the site, walk the complete job with them explaining the steps and prices. I will usually drop my price a bit for a customer like this.

WHY?

Because when the snow is flying, they have a clear understanding of the terms of the contract and when and what will take place, you get far less complaints from the customers who are more cautious at the start.

6. grandview

I met with the manager he was happy with me and was ready to sign it.He had heard I did a good job. It was the bean counter looking probably to save.

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Got to love the bean counters, I met one yesterday. Biggest tire dealer around " we want you to come do our lot" set an appointment, he was 25 min late, no apology, then says this our lot, only do this half, and no salt, no matter what. I said ok what about the back "dont worry about that" that's just where the semi's drop off the tires. :drinkup:

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Those are the people that matter though, they read the contracts closely, inspect the work and cut the checks afterward.

The manager of the branch actually has very little control over maintenance and such.

I made many trips to different banks, having them jump through hoops for me to get my mortgage and accounts. I carefully read each piece of paper they gave for interest and payments to get the best deal.

All part of capitalism which is what lets us all do business. If you don't treat the customer right that will become your reputation and all the good work, shiny trucks and anything else can't help bad word of mouth.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

HAAAAAAAA Give him a nice special price to come back when the semi's refuse to deliver in fear of a tow bill when they get stuck.

10. grandview

Just an update on this. The manager called and said I have contract today .He said I was the highest bid but they still went with me. Said he hear only good things about my work. Looks like I just raised the bar high enough to drive a Semi under it.:D Looks like I'll have to put it higher up on the list.payup