1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Going around property managers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 29, 2005.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you think?
    say you have a townhouse complex you want to bid.Find out the bids are picked by property management co. You send in bid to them and then send bid to townhouse board. Because you know that even if win the bid the townhomes are still paying more then what you bid.
    Does this make sense?

2. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Makes sense to me, and someone on the board may pick up on it, but unless you have someone on the inside to point it out I doubt you get that acct. .

I bid on a strip mall this year that the landscaper contracts out. She will not allow salt spread, only sand. She stated her plantings as the reason. Do you think for a second the owners of the businesses in the mall would want that if they thought about the liability issue. I don't think so. In fact I spoke with one and she raved about how her floor was destoyed in one season from the sand.

I bid it high because of the pain in the neck factor. If you inform the actual folks who are footing the bill you are probably also cutting off your own foot so to speak as the hiring contractor is making money on the account somehow either by hiring someone in particular or making money by not treating the lot as they should. They, the hiring contractor, are not going to appreciate anyone rocking the boat.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Do you seriously believe that the board doesn't know they are paying the management company more than the contractor is getting? Of course they do. That's why they did it, so they wouldn't have to deal with the process. You really accomplished nothing. There is a system in place, they have a contract with the management company. Although they may review the bid, it's still the management company that does the hiring, monitoring, billing etc. You really want to be careful when you "rock the boat"; it may capsize. I'm not a fan of management companies. In fact, I warn against them. But if you're going to play the game, you need to know the rules.
  4. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Yup, I agree with Mick and misspoke initially in my first paragraph. Fact is that you are dealing with a Prop Maint. Co. and they have been contracted, payed and authorized to hire anyone at any cost and only have to answer for the final product. They are looking (as everyone is) for a good job, to satisfy the owners, for the cheapest price possible. There is nothing wrong with that. That is business. That is how they stay in business. The only thing you need concern yourself is whether your business will make enough money at your proposed price to justify the expense of your time and use of equipment.

In my situation, I casually know the owner of the largest store in the strip and asked her about the service last year and lack of salt. If she brings this up with the Landscape contractor, I'm sure not to get the job. I know this and sought info anyway given this particular situation and the fact that the hiring contractor is, in the store owner's view "a very difficult person to deal with".
  5. grandview

I was just throwing this out .I try not working for property managers I think they get carried away with their contracts maybe its to show them their doing their job.Case in point last year got a call for a small townhouse assoc.
    total of 23 units road about 250ft. long truck longer than drive.Could be in and out 1-1.5hrs. The contract was 18 pages long they also wanted salting each time they wanted 2 tons per salting:eek: also no plowing between 1-4am this was printed right in the contract.

sorry just going off
  6. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

I own property management business

Hey everyone, :jester: :salute: I own a property management business in the New England area and I understand where you are coming from. That is why we pride ourselves in not marking up prices and having lengthy contracts. If I manage a property I charge the owner what "you" (plower, landscaper) charge me. Our fee to the owner is enough we don't need to mark up everything!
  7. grandview

How about an idea please.
  8. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

Are you asking me? Idea for what?
  9. grandview

For AzonPM
    What i wanted to know was do you charge the assoc. a flat fee or commision.For ex. if i tell you 10,000.00 for plowing what do you tell the assoc?
  10. AzonPM

AzonPM Junior Member

We charge a percent or rent, dues, fees ect. When I find a plowing contractor for them, I charge them what the plowing contractor charges me. Part of my service is finding them contracts at competative rates. I get my normal monthly fee and that is included. Since we do not mark up or take "commissions" the owners trust us more.

We also provide plowing and landscaping service, but if I find a company that can do it cheaper I will use that company. As a property manager our goal is to maximize the owners profits while minimizing their expenses.

If I am not saying this clear enough sent me an email and I will explain in detail.