1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goin' Campin

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t-sig, May 28, 2010.

1. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

This summer I plan on towing a 5000 lb camper from NY to NC and back. I will be using the truck in my signature. It has almost 90k miles. To the best of my knowledge, the engine and tranny are still tip-top. I change the oil every 3000 and the tranny fluid/filter every spring. Anything special to service or check before I head out? I will go through the usual punch list of: lights, tire pressure, oil levels, coolant level, beer level, and a quick look for loose front end components. The rear brakes and rotors are shot, I am going to change them before I go, the fronts are good. The camper is a 22' Jayco, it should be set; pretty low mileage.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

what jayco trailer are you pulling that is a 22ft weight 5000lbs? maybe if it is loaded to its max. Anyways, the only thing i would suggest is a transmission cooler (if you don't already have one) your truck can handle it, but that is a fairly large load for that truck IMO

3. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Thanks for the reply. It's a Jayco Jay-Flight 22 FB. The dry weight is spec'd at a little over 4000 lbs. With propane, gear, food, beer (alot of beer), I would say it adds up close to 5k. Mind you, I haven't had it on a scale. I do have a tranny cooler, but, I agree, the truck is at it's limit pulling it. The next Chevy will be a 3/4 ton. I have to wait until this one is broken in first before I think about buying a new one.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lol, the only reason i asked on the trailer weight is that i have a 28.5ft jayco, and loaded up with water, beer, food etc, i usually sit around the 5500lb, and my dry weight is 4600lb, so i guess that is close to right now that i think about it. good luck and enjoy the camping

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Change your coolant

6. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Been meanin to. I looked into what it takes and it doesn't sound too bad. I would flush the system which I think requires pulling the thermostat out. I may want to have the AC charged as well. It works, but, you will never catch cold with it running on a hot day.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah I hear ya. The coolant seems to always be overlooked during maintenance. If your going to tow a good amount, then some fresh coolant will only help.