1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goes up half way, then goes up the rest?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Novadiecast, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

My V-VT goes half way up then stops. I release the button and press it again then it will go the rest of the way up. Same with the wings half way out, then the rest of the way. What could cause this? Where do I start?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The controller is dying or you have a loose connection on the red controller power wire Chris. Not that common but as with anything electrical it can and does happen. Still under warranty right?

3. Novadiecast

I think the warranty is up, this will be the third season. However it did seam to be hard to plug the handheld controller in under the dash. Maybe I should double check that first. It started acting up at the end of last year and started right back at it this year, while getting it ready for the season.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then yes you definitely want to check the plug.

Does it act the same way when moving the wings back?

5. Novadiecast

Plow goes down and the wings retract just fine. It only acts up when the pump has to run.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, be sure to check the controller connector like I mentioned first. And then connect a test light to the white/black wire on the underhood solenoid. Now function the plow and watch the test light. When it stops midway in the function, does the test light also go out? Let me know...

7. Novadiecast

Could a low fluid level cause the problem?? I have not tested anything yet but I pulled the cover off the pump and checked the fluid. Thinking I should change the fluid out and put new fluid in. Low and behold It is real low, in fact I could not even see or feel any in the fill hole.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Normally I'd say yes but the fact that if you release and re-press the button it works fine I wouldn't suspect it's causing the problem. But yes definitely get it to the proper level before you do anything else.

9. Novadiecast

Mike I sent you a PM but thought I would post here for other.

I changed the fluid with Boss Hydralic Oil. That part was easy.

I checked the white/black wire at the selonoid for voltage and got 11 volts with the plow going up, once it stopped it went to 0 volts. I release the button and pressed it again and got 11 volts again.

What is could it be? Could it be the controller??

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sent it back with further diagnostic instructions already. Keep me posted.

11. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

not fair. if it starts as a thread then we fix it on the thread not in a pm lol:realmad:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We'll draw the conclusion in a follow up post once he's finished up the diagnosis I explained. We won't leave you out in the cold. :drinkup:

13. Novadiecast

No fear, that is why I posted the info above. In case it helps others along the way. More info to follow tomarrow. WE didn't mean to leave anybody in the dark and won't. So stay tuned.

Mike(B&B) and I have discussed many issues in PM's before. He is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Problem with open thread diagnosis is you get too many cooks:laughing:

15. Novadiecast

OK here is what I checked.

1) Check the brown ground wire that should be on the battery for good connection.

Battery ground on lower alternator bolt. Cleaned each ring terminal(battery and brown ground), bolt and mounting location cleaned with emery cloth.

2) Check the black wire for battery voltage right at the controller plug on the controller side of the plug using the same method you did on the white/black wire (testlight and pressing the controller).

Black wire at controller plug had 12 volts at rest and drops to 10 volts while pressing the button. Always had a constant 9-12 volts. (truck was not running)

Problem still exists.

16. Novadiecast

Then I check these items.

But if you find that the black wire goes dead just like the white/black does then check the small red/black power wire to see where they connected it in the fuse panel. May just be a loose connection there. Also check the relay in the relay pack that has a red, a red/black, a black and a brown. This is the relay that powers the controller. Make sure it's firmly inserted and making good connection.

My black wire did not go dead but I thought I might as well check everything.

The black/red power wire is connected in the fuse panel on the drivers side with a plug in fuse adapter thing. All of this checks out fine. I checked the relays to make sure they were all firmly seated and had clean connections. No problem there either.

The saga continues.:realmad:

17. Novadiecast

The final outcome.:realmad:

We tested the plow without the handheld controller and as stated above we have concluded that the handhelp controller is going ka-put!!!

Time to shop for a new handheld controller or maybe a joystick this time???

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And just to update how the controller bypass is done...Might be a good idea for all to memorize or print this off to keep in the truck. if you ever lose the controller while out int he field you'll know how to bypass it to get you home. Could even plow with this method but it's a little slow. :D

1) Disconnect the controller (duh).

2) Make up a short jumper using two pieces of wire. Strip all four ends and then twist two of them together at one end making up a "Y".

4) Use the jumper you just made to probe the backside of the controller plug (on the truck side of course). Probing the backside instead of the connector pin side helps prevent from accedently touching other pins than those you want.

5) Using two of the jumper ends, place one in the white wire socket and the other in the white/black. Make sure they're in there good as if you have a poor connection it may contaminate your test results.

6) Lastly, turn the ignition key on and touch the last tail of your jumper to the black wire in the socket. The plow should fully raise uninterrupted.

If you also want to lower the plow with your jumper simply touch the orange and black together.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This should be a sticky on the Boss forum..

20. Novadiecast

Update

Finnally got a new controller under waranty. That did not take care of the problem. More to come, Stay tuned.