1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Go it on my own or Sub??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The Duke, Dec 4, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I finnally found a place around here that will pay $65 an hour for subs.

Should I go ahead and sub for him or should I give it a go on my own??

What would you do as a noob to the business?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

might be better to learn the first year then see what you can do for next year. it is dec 4 so it might be hard to find alot on your own.

3. Birdjr

Birdjr Junior Member

unless u can can get a dozen or so accounts now on ur own, id work as a sub.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go for the sub job. It is the best guarantee you will have for money.

5. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Use this chance to sub as a chance to learn! It is a fair price for subbing and at this point in the season you will probably work a lot more as a sub then if you started now on your own.

6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

That would be a hard choice. Thats good coin. If you can find a couple of "after the storm service" customers I would go for the sub job, and do the "afters" when your done subbing.

But its never to late to find Resi's I started the other day with 2 contracts, and at the end of today, after 2 big storms I am up to 15. Today I was putting on fuel and a few old plow trucks were in there filling up too. We started talking and he and his other driver laughed at me when I said I was doing resi's and had 15/looking for another 25ish. He said he had a couple broke down trucks, I offered to sub for him and said I need $70. He laughed at that and said he charges $52. I laughed all the way to the next resi, while making $100+ an hour after expenses.

This is my first yr also, but I am getting great referrals. I have a helper that I pay well, and I try to never get out of the truck unless it is to do paperwork or go over something with the customer. I make sure that every walk is blown, and evey step is shoveled, and it gets me great customers that like my work.

But at the end of the day I have to do paperwork for a few hours, and during the day I have to deal with some hassels here and there. $65 an hour maybe worth it to not have to worry about anything. Also to just be able to get a call saying "lets go" is alot nicer then waking up to check at 4am. Its up to you, how much hassle are you willing to deal with?

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

for and idea of the extra time involved with doing it on your own. I dropped off my worker before 7pm, came home and started on entering new customers contact info in spreadsheets, setting up online payment accounts for them, and then finally sending invoices for all of today. The ones I have to mail, I printed them off, and will mail them tomarrow. Its almost midnight, and I just finished this. This really brings down my $ per hour overall, even though it is high while actually plowing, it is much lower in reality.

Its 12 midnight now, and at 6am I have to drive my 2" customers just to make sure they are clear.

Im not trying to discourage you from doing it on your own this yr. Just be ready for LONG days and STRESS when your the one in charge and responsible.

Good Night:salute:

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

when i first started out in business for my self i used to think that the hardest part would be geting work. now i find that the hard part is finding reliable help. if i were you i would work for the sub fpr a while a sponge as much info off of them as you can. the more you learn before you work for yourself the better off you will be. if you have questions ask them. there may be a reason they do it that way. it may work better and cost less then the way your thinking. i work with so many different contractors. if you do good work you will get work. good luck and learn as much as you can.:drinkup::drinkup:

9. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be trying to set up to sub for this guy then.

It seems that is my best choice right now. I will see how it goes and then try to strike out on my own next year.

Thanks.